Bacon Cheddar Pretzel Bites with Cheese Sauce aren’t your typical soft pretzel, they are SO much better! With crumbled bacon and cheddar cheese added right to the dough, you are going to love them!
We have a thing for pretzels around this house. It is a serious love affair, and as far as snack food goes, you just don’t get any better than a homemade soft pretzel. That is, of course, until we started adding bacon and cheese to the pretzel dough. We’re sure you’ve probably never had a pretzel quite like this before, but we urge you to move past that feeling of discomfort over changing up the amazing, traditional soft pretzel, and just come along with us for the ride.
History Lesson: Pretzels go back to 610 AD when monks would use them as a reward to encourage studying. Honestly, the monks had it right. We love treats like this for after school snacks. Kids have a case of the grumps? These pretzels should perk them right up, especially when you add in that delicious cheese sauce. Go ahead, call them over to help even. This is a family favorite!
Large Pretzels vs Pretzel Bites:
We love pretzel bites because they’re just easier to dip in the cheese sauce, but you can always make these into a classic, large style pretzel.
If you want to speed up the process and not cook fresh bacon each time, you can always use leftover crumbled bacon or even purchase pre-cooked bacon from the store.
Store any leftovers in an airtight bag in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious pretzel based recipes:
- The Best Homemade Soft Pretzels
- Homemade Pretzel Rolls
- Cheddar Stuffed Sriracha Pretzel Bites
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Cupcakes
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Bacon Cheddar Pretzel Bites with Cheese Dip
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 1/4 cups water lukewarm
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 1/2 -4 cups flour
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet. Lay the bacon strips in the cold pan and then put it over the burner over medium heat. Cook until crispy, flipping once, about 10 minutes. Drain on paper towels and crumble.
- Make your dough by dissolving the yeast and brown sugar in the water.
- Add in the bacon drippings, crumbled bacon, cheddar and flour and mix until combined. No need to knead. Let the dough rise in a warm place until almost doubled (about 20 minutes).
- While the dough is rising, make the cheese sauce by melting the butter in a medium-size saucepan. Whisk in flour and ground mustard to form a paste. Pour in milk while whisking and bring to a simmer. Turn the heat to low and stir in cheddar and cream cheese until melted and smooth.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with non stick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Divide the dough into 8 golf ball sized lumps. Roll each ball into a snake or rope. Cut them with a butter knife into bite sized pieces.
- In a large glass, mix together warm water and baking soda. Dip the pretzel dough bites into the water and lay out on the baking sheet.
- Bake at 500 degrees for 5-8 minutes, until golden brown.