Zucchini Lasagna is pasta-free yet tasty and rich. It’s the perfect low-carb, gluten-free lasagna and a great way to sneak extra veggies in.
Our traditional recipe for The Most Amazing Lasagna is a popular treat with our friends and family any time we serve it. This Zucchini Lasagna rendition is a great low-carb, gluten-free and lighter fare option. Zucchini is a nutrient-dense food and makes it a super healthy alternative to the pasta in traditional lasagna. It’s also a delicious way to work in more vegetables. Make sure to invite friends when you make this dish because this one is a crowd pleaser!
Does the zucchini ever get soggy?
Zucchini carries a lot of water, so it is important to follow the salting step when you wash it. This helps to pull some of the moisture out.
Will the zucchini make it taste different?
Zucchini has a mild, summer squash flavor that blends perfectly with Italian style dishes. It complements the bold flavors of the spices, sausage and cheese just right, so the zucchini itself is hardly noticeable.
Can I make this into vegetarian zucchini lasagna?
Yes. The Italian sausage and ground beef in this recipe can be completely omitted to make the recipe vegetarian. Instead of browning the sausage and beef, simply sauté the onion in 1 tablespoon of olive oil for a few minutes instead. You can even use a meat substitute like tofu or jackfruit.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other lasagna recipes:
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large white onion minced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley divided
Zucchini and Cheese
- 3 large zucchini
- 1 pound shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 30 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large pot over medium heat, add in ground sausage and ground beef. Use a spoon to break up the meat into small pieces. Add in onion and garlic and cook until meat is well browned, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar, fresh basil, fennel, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, and 1/4 cup chopped parsley. Pour in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and chicken broth. Stir well and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer until ready to assemble lasagna.
- Meanwhile, cut zucchini lengthwise into 1/8-inch thick strips. Place zucchini into a large colander. Sprinkle with salt to draw out moisture. Rinse and pat dry.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and nutmeg. Refrigerate until ready to assemble lasagna.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a deep 9×13 pan.
- To assemble, spread about 1 cup of meat sauce in the bottom of the prepared pan. Place a layer zucchini noodles on top to cover the bottom of the pan. Spread with 1/3 of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with 1/4 of mozzarella cheese. Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, then sprinkle with 1/4 cup parmesan cheese. Repeat layering two more times to create three complete layers. To finish, place a final layer of zucchini, topped with another 1 cup of meat sauce to cover the zucchini. Top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes until cheese is bubbling and browned. Serve hot. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.