This vanilla cake is made in a waffle iron! Stack your cake waffles up and top them with delicious whipped chocolate ganache for an easy cake recipe that doesn’t require an oven!
A delicious vanilla cake batter is cooked in a belgian waffle maker and then layered with whipped chocolate ganache. It is a unique and fun cake the whole family can have a hand in making. It’s as easy as making waffles!
Can I use a different style of waffle maker?
This recipe, as pictured, is made using a belgian style waffle maker. You can use other style of waffle irons but the ratios of cake to frosting will be different based on the size and shape of your waffle. You may simply just need more waffle layers with the same amount of batter.
Can I use a different kind of frosting?
Yes, you can use any kind of frosting you’d like on this cake including the whipped chocolate ganache included with the recipe or you can try a standard buttercream frosting or even a cream cheese frosting.
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Easy Vanilla Waffle Cake
Whipped Chocolate Ganache
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups chocolate chips milk or semi-sweet
Waffle Cake Batter
- 1/2 cup salted butter softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pound strawberries or raspberries optional
- Make the ganache: bring 1 cup heavy cream to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once simmering, stir in chocolate chips until smooth. Transfer to refrigerator to cool until it reaches a spoon-able consistency, about 1 hour. Once cooled, use a hand mixer to beat the mixture until it reaches soft peaks. Ganache will stiffen when returned to the refrigerator.
- Make the waffle batter: Use a hand mixer to beat together butter and sugar until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add in buttermilk, egg, and vanilla extract and beat until combined. Add in flour and baking powder and mix on a low speed until just combined, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl to make sure everything gets mixed in.
- Preheat a Belgian Waffle Maker. Scoop a heaping 2/3 cup of batter onto the waffle iron. Cook waffles one at a time. Transfer cooked waffles to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Assemble cake: layer the cake with at least 4 waffles, frosted with whipped ganache between each layer. Garnish with fresh berries.