Slow cooker creamy chicken soup is an easy and delicious dinner that practically cooks itself! With just a few simple ingredients and a little bit of time for the slow cooker to work its magic, you’ll have the most delicious and satisfying meal in no time.
Looking for a recipe that’s perfect for those busy weeknights when you just don’t have the time or energy to spend hours in the kitchen? Then, look no further! With just a few simple ingredients and some preparation in the morning, you’ll have a delicious and satisfying meal waiting for you when you get home at night. We love the way slow cooking allows the flavors to meld together, creating a rich and creamy broth that’s perfect for dipping crusty bread or crackers. The whole family’s going to love this one!
Heavy Cream Substitute
Looking for a dairy-free alternative? Try using coconut cream or a fuller fat non-dairy milk, such as oat milk. Keep in mind, the flavor and consistency of the soup may be slightly different with these substitutes.
Looking for a lighter option? Half-and-half (a combination of half whole milk and half heavy cream) or whole milk can be used instead of heavy cream.
Ultimately, the best option will depend on your dietary restrictions and personal preferences. Feel free to experiment and find the substitution that works best for you!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can use frozen chicken, but it will increase the cooking time. Make sure to thaw the chicken fully before cooking to ensure it cooks quickly and evenly.
Make sure to use gluten-free chicken broth and cornstarch.
Yes, you can use bone-in chicken breasts or thighs, but make sure to remove the bones before shredding the chicken.
You absolutely can! Full instructions can be found here.
This slow cooker creamy chicken soup is delicious on its own, but it’s even better with a side of crusty bread or some crackers for dipping. You can also sprinkle some fresh parsley or grated Parmesan cheese on top for an extra burst of flavor.
Storage & Reheating Instructions
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. To reheat, simply heat the soup in a pot on the stove over medium-low heat until warmed through.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious soup recipes:
Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Soup
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 carrots cut into bite-sized chunks
- 4 celery ribs sliced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup cooking wine optional
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons parsley for garnishing
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- Season the chicken with salt and black pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 5-7 minutes per side until browned and fully cooked. Transfer to a cutting board and shred.
- Add all ingredients, except the parsley, to the slow cooker.
- Mix cornstarch and water to form a slurry. Pour into the slow cooker.
- Cover with the lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Season with more salt and pepper to taste. Remove bay leaves and serve hot with a garnish of parsley.