Red Shrimp Curry is an easy and delicious dinner recipe. This red curry recipe is naturally healthy and made with Thai red curry, mixed with shrimp and served in a bowl over rice.
Red curry is really simple to make! You start with a red curry paste, which you can find at any local grocery store. From there, mix it with some vegetables and spices and a can of coconut milk to make a creamy (and naturally vegan) dish.
You will simmer it for a while and then add in shrimp and serve it over brown rice with some extra herbs on top. It makes a great meal prep option and tastes delicious even as a leftover!
Which is spicier, red or green curry?Traditionally, green curry is spicier than red curry. Green curries are hot and red curry is still a tiny bit spicy but not as much as the green version. If you want to make your red curry spicier you can add red pepper flakes!
The difference between green and red curry is the chilis used in the curry. Because the red chilis in the red curry are also less spicy, red curry is less spicy than green curry. However red curry is a little more spicy than a yellow curry.
What Does a Thai Red Curry Taste Like?Red curry is a little sweet and a little spicy. It’s a savory flavor so it pairs really well with shrimp and chicken. Serve it over brown rice for a delicious meal! If you’ve never tried red curry I definitely recommend it!
Shrimp Substitutes:We love a good shrimp curry, but if you don’t eat seafood you can always substitute the shrimp for pan fried tofu or cubed chicken breast cooked in the sauce.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious Asian inspired recipes:
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Thai Red Shrimp Curry
- 1 lb large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
Red Curry Sauce
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 ½ tablespoons fresh grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 13.5 ounce can full fat coconut milk
For Serving (Garnishes)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro and green onions to garnish
- Rice or Quinoa to serve over
- In a small bowl, toss together the shrimp with salt, pepper, paprika and lime juice. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 10-15 minutes.
- While the shrimp is marinating, heat the coconut oil in a medium size skillet for 1-2 minutes. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook for 2 or 3 minutes until the onion softens and becomes translucent. Add the garlic, fresh ginger, red curry paste, paprika, turmeric and coriander. Stir and cook for another minute.
- Add the tomato juice and coconut milk, stir and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook for about 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Add the marinated shrimp and cook for another 2 minutes or until the shrimp is pink and cooked through.
- Serve over rice and top with cilantro.