This Oven Baked BBQ Chicken is easy to make and includes a homemade no-cook barbecue sauce. It’s finger licking good!
They don’t call BBQ chicken finger licking good for nothing! This is seriously one of our absolute favorite ways to eat chicken. The meat always comes out so juicy, the skin perfectly crisp, and that sauce – yum! This is one of those meals we tend to overfill ourselves on. Our bellies might be telling us to stop, but our mouths still want more! The secret is all in the homemade BBQ sauce. You’re going to love it!
Chicken Cut Options:
The best bbq chicken is made with bone-in, skin-on chicken. You can use all parts of the chicken, or just specific parts that you like. Drumsticks, wings, thighs, and breasts all make excellent bbq chicken. Cooking time will vary slightly if you are only using one cut of chicken. Chicken needs to be cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit and cooking times will always vary based on the size and thickness of your chicken.
Can I make Best Oven Baked BBQ Chicken on the grill?
BBQ Chicken can be cooked low and slow on a grill at a 250-275 degree Fahrenheit heat which will take approximately 90 minutes to cook through to a safe internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. You can make this recipe on the grill using these time and temperature guidelines. Be sure to baste your chicken with the barbecue sauce as it cooks and flip your chicken halfway through cooking time. Finish by searing the chicken over a high heat to caramelize the sauce and crisp up the skin.
Cross contamination is where bacteria are accidentally transferred from one item to another. In this recipe, you need to be careful not to contaminate your barbecue sauce with bacteria from raw chicken. If you touch your chicken with a brush or spoon, and then stick that utensil back into the bowl, the sauce is now contaminated. This means that the sauce cannot be eaten unless it has been cooked.
To avoid this, use a clean spoon to transfer a small amount of sauce into a bowl, and then use a different spoon or brush to coat the chicken with this sauce. This will allow you to have extra sauce to coat your chicken with during the cooking process if you’d like.
Storage and Reheating Instructions:
Store any leftover chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in an oven preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit until warmed through.
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Best Oven Baked BBQ Chicken
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 pounds chicken skin on, bone in
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet or 9×13 pan.
- In a blender combine tomato sauce, molasses, worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, brown sugar, cornstarch, salt, cajun seasoning, paprika, and garlic.
- Puree until smooth.
- Transfer half of the sauce into a separate bowl and reserve for later. Brush remaining sauce onto chicken pieces.
- Place chicken pieces into prepared pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, flip all pieces and baste with reserved sauce. Continue baking for another 20 minutes, or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Switch oven to broiler setting and broil, 2 to 3 minutes until sauce caramelizes. Serve hot.