All the flavors of jalapeño poppers wrapped up into a tasty meatball with a surprise cheese-filled center. This is a family favorite!
What would you say if we took a normal meatball, changed things up, and turned it into a jalapeño popper meatball? That’s right, get ready to sweat because we’re making jalapeño popper meatballs in the kitchen today. It has diced jalapeño mixed in with ground meat and then stuffed with cream cheese in the middle. They are addictingly delicious, and a family favorite.
These are surprisingly versatile. You can make these meatballs in bulk and freeze them, just add 10 to 15 minutes to the cooking time when you’re ready to cook. You can also easily turn them into a killer meatball sub. If you’re a bit nervous about the spice, you can use more or less jalapeño to your taste. No need to heat yourself out!
Meat options for Jalapeño Popper Meatballs:
We love these meatballs with beef, but you can use pork, chicken, or really any ground meat.
How many jalapeños should I use?
If you want to make a mild and kid-friendly meatball, stick to 1/2 of one jalapeño. For medium heat, 1-2 jalapeños, and if you’re really wanting a good spicy kick, use 3 whole jalapeños.
These are hearty enough to serve plain as a main dish, but you can also also serve over rice or mashed potatoes. Our favorite way to eat jalapeño popper meatballs is on a sub with bbq sauce instead of marinara.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other hearty ground beef recipes:
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Jalapeno Popper Meatballs
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 white onion minced
- 1 to 2 jalapenos minced
- 3/4 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cheese
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray a 9×13 pan or four sided baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine ground beef, onion, jalapenos, bread crumbs, cheddar cheese, milk, Worcestershire sauce, basil, and salt. Mix thoroughly until ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Shape into 20 roughly shaped meatballs. Divide the cream cheese into 20 tablespoon-sized pieces, one for each meatball. Working one at a time, take a meatball and flatten it in the palm of your hand. Place a piece of cream cheese in the center and wrap the meatball around the cheese, sealing it inside the middle.
- Place the fully shaped meatballs into the prepared baking pan.
- Cook in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes. Serve hot.