Italian Beef can be cooked in a slow cooker, instant pot, or seared on your stovetop and cooked in the oven. There is minimal prep time before it cooks low and slow with your favorite Italian spices for tender, juicy beef your entire family will love.
We love nothing more than a recipe with options: slow cooker, instant pot, or stove top. If you’re like us and have all of the specialty appliances, then you can take your pick and decide which cooking method is most convenient for your family. If you aren’t into the single use kitchen gadgets, we are here for you in this recipe too with stovetop and oven instructions. No matter how you cook this Italian Beef, it is going to be delicious!
Topping Suggestions for Italian Beef Sandwiches:
This sandwich really is amazing without any added toppings — just the meat and peppers on a delicious hoagie roll. However, a totally acceptable topping to this sandwich is a couple slices of provolone cheese.
Homemade hoagies are our personal favorite, but any roll would work with this. If we can’t have a hoagie, we love a good crusty sandwich roll.
What is Giardiniera?
Chicago-style Giardiniera is a blend of pickled and marinated veggies. It typically includes cauliflower, bell peppers, celery, and carrots, though you can sometimes find others peppers and gherkins as well. You should be able to find this in your local grocery store near the pickles.
For the most tender and flavorful beef, you will want to use a chuck or a rump roast. These are traditionally less expensive cuts of meat, and should be easily found in the meat section of your grocery store.
Storage and Reheating Instructions:
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat single servings in the microwave in 30 second increments until warmed through.
We recommend portioning out your meat by the pound (or less). Store in quart sized freezer bags for up to 3 months. When ready to use, thaw in your refrigerator overnight.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious sandwich recipes:
- Slow Cooker Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches
- Pineapple Chile Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- Pressed Italian Picnic Sandwiches
- Thai-Style Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Italian Beef Sandwiches
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 to 5 pound beef chuck roast
- 1 large yellow onion sliced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 16 ounces Giardiniera , divided (Chicago-style Italian pepper mix)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 hoagie rolls
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Get a large oven safe dutch oven pot heating over high heat.
- Add vegetable oil to pot and sear roast until browned, about 3 to 4 minutes each side.
- Once seared, remove from heat and top with onion slices. Pour in beef broth and half of the Giardiniera peppers and juices.
- In a small bowl, stir together oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, sugar, parsley, basil, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle over the top of the roast.
- Place a lid on the pan and transfer it to the preheated 350 degree oven. Cook 3 hours, or until meat reaches an internal temperature of 202 degrees F and shreds easily with a fork.
- Shred meat and serve on hoagie rolls (toasted or untoasted) and top with remaining Giardiniera peppers.
SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS:
- Searing in oil in a skillet is an optional step. Place the seared or un-seared meat directly into a slow cooker. Add in all remaining ingredients and cook on low 8 hours.
INSTANT POT INSTRUCTIONS:
- Follow this recipe as directed, but instead of searing and baking the roast in a large pot, you’ll do all of this in your pressure cooker. Sear the roast as directed in step 2 using the sear setting on your electric pressure cooker. Once seared, add in liquids, peppers, and seasonings. Cook on high pressure for 60 minutes, followed by a 15-minute natural release. Then, switch the release valve to the venting position. Remove lid once steam has stopped coming out.