You gotta love a finger-licking good drumstick, especially when it is lathered in barbecue sauce. You get to eat with your hands, rip your teeth into some meat, tear it from the bones, and all the while sport a barbecue sauce mustache. It is primal and delicious. Nothing like eating meat off the bones to remind you where you fall on the food chain, am I right? Yes, this comes from the girl who only eats meat a couple times a week. It’s like those giant turkey legs sold at county fairs or amusement parks like Disneyland. They always look delicious and you always feel like a indulgent slob while gnawing away at the delicious meat. This recipe is no exception.
A variation on this barbecue sauce can be found in my Slow Cooker cookbook Yes, you can order it now and yes, it is awesome. All of my taste testers who ate their way through the writing of the book were eagerly anticipating it and now you can too! End of shameless plug.
Back to the recipe at hand. Drumsticks are one of my go-to easy meals. They are as easy as season, bake, eat. This time I have you whisking up a quick homemade barbecue sauce. A little extra love and lathering goes a long ways so I have you doing a second coat of sauce mid-bake. So we’ll call them as easy as lather, bake, lather, bake, eat. Did that even make sense? This sauce will have everyone at the table eating primal and licking their fingers all along the way. Serve with napkins, of course! Unless you were raised in a barn and then more power to you!
Watch the video below where I walk you through every step of the recipe. I have over 250 video recipes on YouTube. That’s a lot of recipes to drool over so it could keep you busy for quite a while!
Honey Garlic Barbecue Chicken Drumsticks
- 1 cup ketchup
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon Frank's hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons. cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 4 pounds chicken drumsticks
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together ketchup, garlic, hot sauce, honey, brown sugar, liquid smoke, cornstarch, worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, salt, onion powder, oregano, basil, paprika, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Whisk until smooth.
- Spray a 4 sided baking sheet or 9x13 pan with nonstick cooking spray. Lay the drumsticks out on the pan and brush with the barbecue sauce.
- Bake in the 375 degree oven for about 45 minutes, brushing with additional barbecue sauce halfway through.
This recipe first appeared on The Stay At Home Chef on May 8, 2014