This Dutch Oven Honey Mustard BBQ Chicken and Potatoes recipe is the ultimate one pot comfort food meal.
Hey y’all! I am thrilled to be sharing a little bit of my favorite food ideas with you today! I’m Larisha and you can find my fiance and I over on We’re Parents!
It officially snowed here for the first time this year, which means I’m in full gear for comfort food. I want something that it going to be warm and filling and make my heart happy. This dish does just that.
Once upon a time, I rarely liked vegetables. I wasn’t open to trying new foods. The thought of going to someone even like Panera was a no go for me because things like “tomato basil bread” were just too outside of my comfort zone. Thank goodness I outgrew that travesty huh!? I vowed that when I became a parent myself that I would make sure that my own girls had an open mind to trying to things, loved vegetables, knew their way around the kitchen, and had a positive, loving relationship with healthy foods.
The Ultimate Comfort Meal
One way I do that is with meals like this Dutch Oven Honey Mustard BBQ Chicken and Potatoes. Delicious homemade honey mustard bbq sauce seeps into this chicken to make it burst with flavor. Paired with crispy bacon and the sweetness of potatoes, all while simmering in a bucket of spices. It’s truly a comfort food classic reimagined. Did I mention you do all of this in one pot for insanely easy clean up? It really is the perfect winter meal.
Try it today
Dutch Oven Honey Mustard BBQ Chicken and Potatoes
- 1 pound red potatoes washed and cut into large chunks
- 1 pound sweet potatoes washed and cut into large chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 - 2½ pounds boneless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons chicken spice rub your own or use our homemade version
- 7 ounces bacon diced, separated
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ½ yellow onion finely diced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- Honey Mustard BBQ Mustard Sauce
- Garnish optional: Fresh Rosemary or parsley
- In a large bowl, soak the cubed red potatoes in water for at least 30 minutes. After soaking, drain, add the cubed sweet potatoes, season to taste with salt and pepper and drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Sprinkle chicken with chicken spice rub.
- Heat a dutch oven over medium high heat. Add HALF the bacon and cook until lightly browned. Transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Cook other half of bacon.
- Turn the stove down to medium low. Add the chicken into the pan. Brown the chicken for 3 minutes on one side, then flip and cook for 2 minutes on other. Remove chicken onto a plate.
- Add the garlic and onion and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly so garlic does not burn. Then, Add 1 1/2 cups chicken broth into the pan and scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pan to mix in with the sauce. Add Honey Mustard bbq Sauce and half of cooked bacon and stir to combine. Then add the chicken and all the potatoes back into the pan.
- Bake for 40 - 50 minutes (no cover), or until chicken and potatoes are golden brown. Potatoes should be fork tender. Garnish with remaining bacon and optional rosemary or parsley.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox!
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!