The Best Apple Nachos have the most amazing homemade caramel sauce and come together in just 30 minutes to make the most versatile and delicious dish! Choose from your favorite toppings and serve it up as a mid-day snack, party appetizer, or dessert!
Is it a dessert? A snack? An appetizer? Yes to all three! Apple nachos are super versatile and can be used however you like! You can frequently find us snacking on this mid-day, especially in the summer and fall, but we also love to bring apple nachos to parties as a dessert or appetizer. You can scale it up or down depending on how many people you’re trying to feed, and people always rave over it. For such a simple recipe, this is surprisingly delicious.
Peanuts in Ultimate Apple Nachos:
Peanuts are entirely optional. If you have peanut allergies you can either omit them completely or swap them out for your favorite non-allergy crushed nuts.
The possibilities are endless for toppings! You can use as many or as few of the suggested toppings that you desire, or even go nuts and add in some of your other favorite toppings!
Apple Browning Tip:
If you do not intend to serve your apple nachos immediately, we recommend squeezing a little lemon juice onto the apple slices right after cutting. This should prevent browning.
Apple Bourbon Substitute:
If you can’t find apple bourbon, you can use plain bourbon to make the caramel sauce. You may also completely omit it altogether if you don’t want to use bourbon.
This homemade apple bourbon caramel simply can’t be beat! The flavor is just heavenly. If you need to save on time, you can always use regular caramel sauce, found in the ice cream topping section.
We love the tartness in a granny smith with the sweetness in the toppings, but you can really use any apple you prefer! You can’t go wrong, whichever variety you choose.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. However, they will start to brown from exposure to the air.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious dessert recipes:
Watch the video below where Caytlin will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
The Best Apple Nachos
Apple Bourbon Caramel
- 1 cup salted butter
- 2 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 5 tablespoons apple bourbon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 apples
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup white chocolate melted
- 1/4 cup toffee bits
- 1/4 cup peanuts finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
Apple Bourbon Caramel
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, pour in sweetened condensed milk, corn syrup, and add in brown sugar.
- Using a whisk or rubber spatula, stir all ingredients over medium heat until it starts to simmer. Scrape the sides and bottom regularly.
- Let the sauce simmer until the temperature reaches 200-205 degrees. We are just making a sauce and so we need to simmer it long enough to get the granulation out, but not take it to soft ball stage.
- Once it has reached temperature, remove from heat and carefully stir in the vanilla, apple bourbon, and salt. Stir it until it is all well combined.
- Let cool and then pour into jars for storage. Shelf stable for up to 1 month.
- Using a washed, clean apple- slicing from the exterior to the interior, cut thin cross sections of the apple until you get to the core, Change directions and cut all the way around the apple to make the apple chips.
- Spread the apple slices on a plate and drizzle with the caramel sauce and toppings that you desire and enjoy!