Colcannon mashed potatoes, creamy and delicious buttery potatoes. This is a traditional Irish dish made up of mashed potatoes mixed with kale and green onions.
Colcannon is full of flavor. If you like mashed potatoes, you’ll most likely love this dish. The mashed potatoes get tons of flavor from the green onions and a nice texture from the chopped kale. We all love butter and milk in our potatoes, so that is also in this colcannon recipe with salt and pepper to taste!
Colcannon makes a beautiful presentation. We like to serve it warm in a large dish with a pat of butter right on top. We’re all about adding greens to your favorite dishes over at Know Your Produce.MY OTHER RECIPES
What is Colcannon?
Colcannon is a traditional Irish mashed potato recipe with kale or cabbage. It’s a great way to get your veggies in for kids who love potatoes but may not eat kale by the spoonful. Cabbage is also a great addition and you want you could even do both.
The next time you see kale at your grocery store why not pick it up and give colcannon potatoes a try? This recipe would be perfect with your Irish favorites on St Patrick’s Day, or any day you want to have delicious side dish for your family.
There are a few options to add the green onions and kale into your mashed potatoes. You can cook the green onions and kale with the butter and milk that’s getting warmed up for the potatoes, or you can place them in the boiling water for about 1 minute. We like to go with the butter and milk method so all the nutrients stay in the mixture whereas if you blanch in the water, once you drain, there can be some nutrient loss.
Potatoes are so versatile and we always have them in our house. You can add them to so many recipes or let them shine all own their own.
More potato recipes:
recipe for colcannon
- 5 medium-sized potatoes
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 2 scallions, sliced
- ½ cup milk, whole
- ½ stick butter
- salt + pepper, to taste
- Peel and chop up potatoes.
- Place the chopped potatoes into a saucepan and fill with enough water to boil potatoes.
- When the potatoes start to boil, place the kale, scallions, milk, and butter into a small saucepan and cook until steaming, but not boiling.
- Remove potatoes from pot and drain once they are fork tender and ready for mashing.
- Dump the cooked potatoes back into the saucepan and cover with the warm milk and vegetable mixture.
- Mash the potatoes until nice and creamy, add more milk if needed.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox 😃
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!