This classic dessert gets a modern upgrade. Make Salted Caramel Rice Pudding from scratch and enjoy a decadent twist on an old fashioned favorite.
You might be thinking that rice pudding is your grandma’s dessert, especially if you’re picturing raisins in a bland, gelatinous blob of rice. Not this rice pudding! This from-scratch recipe is both timeless and super simple to make. Also, it results in a decadent dessert you and your grandma will love. Delicious, creamy, salty, and sweet—this has it all!
We prefer the creamier texture of Arborio rice, but regular white rice will also work just fine. Reduce the cooking time to about 20 minutes.
Can rice pudding be made in a rice cooker?
No. This recipe requires a low simmer with stirring in order to reach the right consistency, as the rice is boiled in milk and sugar.
Do add-ins go well with rice pudding?
Absolutely. Rice pudding is kind of like vanilla ice cream. It is creamy and sweet and can mix well with lots of different flavors. If you want a little more sumpin’ sumpin’ with your rice pudding, you can try sprinkling some toasted pecans on it, sliced bananas, cinnamon, chocolate chips, apple slices, or even the traditional raisins.
Store leftover rice pudding in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can eat it chilled or reheat in the microwave in 30 second increments until warmed through. Rice hardens up in the fridge, so you will want to thin it out with a tablespoon or two of water or milk.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious caramel recipes:
- Caramel Syrup
- Salted Caramel Shortbread Bars
- Caramelized Cinnamon Hot Chocolate
- Amish Honey Roasted Caramel Corn
- Homemade Salted Caramel Frappes
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Salted Caramel Rice Pudding
- 3/4 cup arborio rice
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter diced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan make the rice pudding. First put the rice in the pan. Whisk together milk, sugar, egg, salt, and vanilla. Pour over rice.
- Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer 20 to 30 minutes until rice is cooked and absorbed most of the liquid, leaving a creamy sauce.
- Meanwhile, make the salted caramel sauce. In a medium-size saucepan over medium heat, melt the sugar. Stir constantly with a rubber spatula, scrapping the sides as you go. Once the sugar melts and turns a golden brown, add in butter until melted. Pour in heavy cream and bring to a simmer, without increasing the heat. Simmer 90 seconds. Remove from heat and stir in salt.
- Stir 2/3rd of the salted caramel mixture into the rice pudding, reserving the remaining 1/3rd for drizzling over the top.