Soft and chewy sugar cookies with a sweet twist: they are made with Nutella! Nutella sugar cookies put a chocolatey hazelnut twist on the classic cookie.
How could you possibly go wrong with a chocolate version of sugar cookies? You just can’t! Make it Nutella and you have an irresistible cookie I tell ya. These sugar cookies are divine. You can definitely tell they are sugar cookies, but with the addition of nutella it just takes it over the top. You can decorate these cookies with icing, your just shove them in your face one after another. I won’t judge you as long as you don’t judge me!
Why do I have to refrigerate the dough before I roll it out?
Refrigerating the dough will cause the fats in the dough to harden. The dough will get stiff making it easier to roll out. Cold dough also affects the cooking process as the cold fat hits the heat at a high temperature. We can get pretty scientific with this as fat provides numerous chemical functions when it comes to baking. The important thing to remember is that temperature matters. If a cookie recipe says to refrigerate, make sure you do it, otherwise you won’t end up with the right results.
Nutella Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 2 TB. light corn syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. hazelnut extract
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup Nutella
- 3.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter, sugar, and cream cheese until light and fluffy using the whisk attachment.
- Mix in the corn syrup, vanilla, hazelnut extract, egg, and Nutella scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl so that everything gets mixed in.
- Switch your mixer attachment to a paddle or dough hook. Mix in flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda until everything is mixed in.
- Remove the dough from the mixing bowl and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets or line with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to 1/4 inch thick. Use cookie cutters to cut out desired shapes, re-rolling the dough as necessary.
- Place cookies on the prepared baking sheets. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 2 to 3 minutes on the pan before carefully removing to cool completely on a wire cooling rack.