This Mexican Street Corn Soup has all the flavors you love from Mexican street corn all bundled up into one comfort food soup that is to die for!
Who else loves Mexican street corn? We’ve taken all the delicious flavors of Mexican Street Corn, added a few more, and made it into a delicious soup that is absolutely killer! It’s hearty, full of corn, and topped off with bacon, cheese, and jalapeños. What’s not to love? Not only is this soup absolutely delicious, it’s also really easy to make. It’s read in under 20 minutes! We have a feeling you’ll be making this soup over and over and over again. It’s easy for this one to become a family favorite!
What is Mexican street corn (Elote)?
Mexican street corn, also known as Elote, is grilled corn that is lathered in a mixture of mayonnaise, sour cream, cotija cheese, chili powder, garlic, and cilantro.
Spice Level of Mexican Street Corn Soup:
The jalapeño in this soup gives it a nice warmth, but is not overly spicy. If you prefer a spicier soup, you can always an extra jalapeño.
How much flour do you need to thicken a soup?
When you want to thicken a soup or stew, use equal parts flour and fat. The flour needs to be mixed into the fat directly for best results. This allows it to evenly disperse into the liquid once it is added. If you’ve already added your liquid and you want to add additional flour in to thicken your soup, whisk your flour into a small amount of the hot liquid in a separate bowl. Once you have a liquid slurry, pour it back into the soup over heat and stir until thickened.
Storage and Reheating Instructions:
Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in a saucepan on the stovetop over medium-low heat until warmed through.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious Mexican inspired recipes:
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Mexican Street Corn Soup
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small white onion chopped
- 1 jalapeno minced
- 5 cloves garlic crushed
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 6 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream half and half, or milk
- 1 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 1/2 lb bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- 1 jalapeno sliced
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add in the onions and minced jalapeno and sauté for about 5 minutes, then stir in garlic and cook an additional 1 minute.
- Stir in the flour, cumin, and chili powder and cook 1-2 minutes. Whisk in the chicken stock until smooth and bring to a boil. Add in the corn, sugar, and salt. Once it returns to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in cream and cilantro. Serve topped with crumbled bacon, cotija, and jalapeno slices.