Fried pancakes. That’s right, fried pancakes. They are like a heavenly mix of a donut and a pancake.Are you ready for a crazy good recipe? You may look at the ingredients and say to yourself, “hey, that looks just like a buttermilk pancake.” I thought the same thing. Let me tell you, these are a far cry from a buttermilk pancake. These babies are fried, crispy on the outside, light and airy on the inside. It’s like some kind of donut pancake and it is pure deliciousness.
Fun fact: this recipe is based on a classic Russian breakfast called Oladi. Our Russian friends apparently eat these with jam and sour cream. We enjoyed ours with fresh berries and sour cream. Now, you may be a bit skeptical about the sour cream. Just trust me on this one. Russian sour cream is a bit different than the American kind (higher fat content), but it’s served with practically everything. They are on to something here because the sour cream was a tasty touch. You really must try it with sour cream. For reals.
Check out the video tutorial to walk you through every step for this delicious breakfast treat!
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- oil for frying vegetable or canola
- sour cream and fresh berries for serving
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour in eggs and buttermilk and mix until the batter is mostly smooth.
- Heat a skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Pour in enough oil to just barely cover the bottom of the pan. Let the oil heat up. You may have to adjust and readjust the temperature of your heat source as you cook so make sure those beautiful pancakes stay golden brown.
- Working in small batches of 3 to 4, ladle in about 1 tablespoon of batter at a time into the hot skillet. Fry until golden brown, flip, and fry the other side until it is also golden brown.
- Transfer the fried pancakes to a paper towel-lined plate. Serve hot with jam, sour cream, or fresh berries.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox 😃
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!