Creamy Broccoli Rice Casserole is a one pot dish thats cheesy, vegetarian and almost tastes like creamy risotto. Made with white rice and lots of broccoli, this is a meal in itself!
We absolutely love one pot meals where we can add everything the family needs all in one, easy to clean dish. We like to make this in a large dutch oven that is heavy bottomed so that there is no fear of the rice burning or sticking to the bottom.
Not all casseroles are created equal, and we’ve all had a fair share of overcooked mush that someone dared call a casserole. Don’t worry, this is a delicious blend of flavors and textures and your family is going to love it. Really though, what’s not to love about rice, broccoli and cheese mixed together? Can this be dinner every night please?
Why do I need both olive oil and butter?We use both butter and olive oil because the oil doesn’t let the butter brown or burn.
Chicken vs. Vegetable Broth:If you want to make this dish totally vegetarian, or if you just love the veggie flavor, stick with vegetable broth. If you’d like a more meatier flavor to this dish, use chicken broth. Both are delicious, so it is all about your personal taste preferences.
Can I use instant rice?Instant rice is what tends to go mushy. We highly recommend sticking with a not instant, long grain white rice.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious one pot recipes:
Creamy Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 cup finely chopped Onions
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 1/2 cups long grain Rice
- 3 tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- 2 cups Milk
- 2 1/2 cups Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- 1 teaspoon dried Thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried Oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large head of Broccoli cut into small florets
- 2 cups shredded Cheese
- Heat olive oil and butter in a heavy bottomed pan or dutch oven.
- Saute the onions and garlic till the onions are translucent.
- Add the rice and saute it for 2-3 minutes. Once the rice is toasted, add the flour and saute it for a minute.
- Pour the milk in slowly while whisking continuously till the sauce thickens. Pour in the broth, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring this to boil and then turn it down to medium low and cover and cook for 15-20 minutes till the rice is almost cooked.
- Add the broccoli and gently stir it around. Cover again and cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in 1 cup cheese and mix it up. Top with the remaining cheese and cover the lid. Allow the cheese to melt and then serve hot. Alternatively, you can add the cheese on top and broil it in the oven for a few minutes to brown it.