Creamy Broccoli Rice Casserole is a one pot dish thats cheesy, vegetarian and almost tastes like creamy risotto. Made with white rice and lots of broccoli, this is a meal in itself!
You will not believe how incredibly delicious this recipe is. I’m Richa from My Food Story and today I’m sharing this Creamy Broccoli Rice Casserole that tastes just like a creamy risotto but without half the work!
I love one pot meals where I can add everything that the family needs. Like this one which has rice and broccoli all in one dish. I like to make this in a large dutch oven that is heavy bottomed so that there is no fear of the rice burning. The enamel coating on the Dutch Oven also saves the rice from getting burnt or sticking to the bottom. You can even melt the cheese right in the dutch oven, but I sometimes like to transfer it into a baking dish to melt the cheese and brown it slightly.
This recipe is really easy to make. You start by sauteing some garlic and onions in butter and olive oil. We use both butter and olive oil because the oil doesn’t let the butter brown or burn. Once the onions are done, we tip in the rice and roast it for a couple of minutes. This adds a beautiful nutty flavour to the rice. In goes the flour, the milk, broth and seasoning and then we just let the rice cook. Once the rice is almost cook, I like to add the broccoli. It steams while the rice is cooking. You add the cheese, let it sit for a bit so that it melts and you are all done!
Isn’t it the easiest broccoli rice casserole ever? What I love the most about this recipe is that the rice doesn’t become mushy or gluggy.
And that cheese! All that cheese! This broccoli rice casserole is pure comfort food!
Creamy Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 cup finely chopped Onions
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 1/2 cups long grain Rice
- 3 tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- 2 cups Milk
- 2 1/2 cups Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- 1 teaspoon dried Thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried Oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large head of Broccoli cut into small florets
- 2 cups shredded Cheese
- Heat olive oil and butter in a heavy bottomed pan or dutch oven.
- Saute the onions and garlic till the onions are translucent.
- Add the rice and saute it for 2-3 minutes. Once the rice is toasted, add the flour and saute it for a minute.
- Pour the milk in slowly while whisking continuously till the sauce thickens. Pour in the broth, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring this to boil and then turn it down to medium low and cover and cook for 15-20 minutes till the rice is almost cooked.
- Add the broccoli and gently stir it around. Cover again and cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in 1 cup cheese and mix it up. Top with the remaining cheese and cover the lid. Allow the cheese to melt and then serve hot. Alternatively, you can add the cheese on top and broil it in the oven for a few minutes to brown it.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox 😃
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!