A soft, buttery chocolate chip cookie cake, stuffed full of sprinkles and topped off with rich chocolate frosting. This serves as a great alternative to traditional birthday cake!
Hi everyone, Sam here from Sugar Spun Run, and I’m excited to share one of my new favorite dessert recipes with you today: A Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake! Can you think of a better dessert than a giant, soft chocolate chip cookie, filled with sprinkles and topped off with chocolate frosting?
I can’t (but I’m also admittedly a bit of a chocolate chip cookie addict), and this cookie cake trumps even the best cookie recipe because there’s no scooping, no chilling, rolling, or slicing. Just mix up the ingredients and spread them into a pan, slide it into the oven and you’re done! Well, minus the frosting.
Can I make this in a 9 inch pan?
I made this cookie cake in a 10″ springform pan, but if you have a deep 10″ cake pan that would work great, too. You can also get away with using a 9″, but you’ll need to bake it a bit longer and the cookie cake will be a bit thicker (not a bad thing!).
The cookie will bake up with a soft, chewy, chocolaty center and a slightly crisped edge, so no matter which kind of cookie connoisseur you are (chewy or crispy), you’ll find something to love here.
I have a little bit of an obsession with using sprinkles in my recipes (like my Funfetti cake — sprinkles overload!), so of course I added a handful of bright, colorful sprinkles to this chocolate chip cookie cake. You can absolutely skip them if you’d like, but why would you want to!?
Because no cake is complete without at least a little bit of frosting, I topped this one off with a rim of chocolate buttercream that’s sweet but not too sweet and accents the cookie cake perfectly. I only did one ring of frosting for these photos, but the recipe makes enough that you can do two.
When I served this cake to my family, I added extra frosting to the slices of the chocolate lovers in my family (which is just about everyone).
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar, tightly packed
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose
- 1 ½ teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 Tablespoons sprinkles
- ½ cup (1 stick) salted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350F (177C) and prepare a 10" round pan by lining the bottom with parchment paper or by lightly greasing. Set aside.
- Combine softened butter and sugars in a large bowl and use an electric mixer to beat well until light and fluffy. Add eggs, and egg yolk one at a time, stirring well after each addition. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Add in flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt and mix in until combined. Stir in chocolate chips and sprinkles.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan. Bake on 350F for 30 minutes or until edges just begin to turn golden brown.
- Prepare chocolate frosting while the cookie cake cools. In electric mixer cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Mix in cocoa powder and vanilla extract. Pause to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula. If the frosting is thick, add milk (start with just 1 teaspoon, if consistency is still too stiff add another) and beat well.
- Transfer frosting to a piping bag and pipe icing around the rim of your cooled cookie cake -- I used a piping bag fitted with a Wilton 2D tip, but in a pinch you can simply transfer your frosting to a ziploc bag, snip off a small corner, and pipe that way. Top frosting with sprinkles for decoration
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox 😃
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!