Buffalo chicken pizza combines the zesty, spicy flavors of buffalo wings with the beloved classic, pizza. This dish is a crowd-pleaser, offering a perfect balance of creamy, tangy, and savory notes. Ideal for a family dinner, game night, or a casual gathering, this pizza is sure to delight everyone.
Why You’ll Love Buffalo Chicken Pizza
- Easy to make with simple ingredients.
- Quick preparation and cooking time.
- Family-friendly and loved by all ages.
- Customizable with your favorite toppings.
Buffalo Chicken Pizza Ingredients & Substitutions
- Pizza Dough: Serves as the base for your pizza. You can use store-bought or homemade dough. Substitute with gluten-free dough if desired.
- Mozzarella Cheese: Adds a creamy texture to the pizza. Try cheddar for a sharper taste or a plant-based alternative (such as Miyoko’s pourable plant-based mozzarella) for a dairy-free option.
- Cooked Chicken: Provides protein and pairs well with the buffalo sauce. Substitute with a plant-based chicken alternative or cauliflower for a vegetarian version.
- Buffalo Sauce: Creates the signature spicy and tangy flavor. For a milder sauce, mix buffalo sauce with a small amount of honey or ranch dressing.
- Cream Cheese: Adds creaminess to the buffalo sauce. Substitute with Greek yogurt for a lighter version.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can prepare the pizza ahead and refrigerate it before baking.
Cooked chicken can be easily shredded using two forks or by hand when cooled.
Absolutely! Here are some great options:
Make It Your Own
- If the sauce is too thick, thin it with a small amount of milk or water.
- If the pizza is browning too quickly, lower the oven temperature and extend the cooking time.
Tips From the Chef
- Let the dough come to room temperature before rolling it out.
- Spread the sauce evenly, but not too close to the edges.
- Preheat your oven with the pizza stone inside for a crispier crust.
- Allow the pizza to cool for a few minutes before slicing to set the toppings.
Make Ahead Instructions
Preparing buffalo chicken pizza in advance can be a great time-saver, and the beauty of it is that you have the flexibility to do as much or as little prep work as you like. Whether you choose to just prep one component or get everything ready up to the baking stage, these make-ahead instructions are designed to fit your schedule and ease your cooking process. Here’s how you can get a head start on your delicious pizza, step by step.
- Dough Preparation:
- Prepare your pizza dough. Store in the fridge in an airtight container or wrapped in plastic wrap for up to 2 days.
- Cook and Shred Chicken:
- Cook the chicken ahead of time, shred it, and keep it refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Prepare Buffalo Sauce:
- Mix cream cheese, buffalo sauce, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Store this sauce in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Prep Your Veggies:
- Chop any vegetables you want to add. Keep them in separate containers in the fridge.
- Shred the Cheese:
- Shred mozzarella and refrigerate it in an airtight container.
- Assemble the Pizza:
- Roll out the dough, add the sauce, chicken, cheese, and veggies. Cover with a beeswax wrap and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- Bake the Pizza:
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven. Remove the pizza from the fridge as the oven warms up. Bake as usual, adding a bit more time if it’s cold.
Storage, Freezer & Reheating Instructions
- Refrigerate: Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Freeze: Freeze individual slices on a baking sheet, then transfer to a freezer bag for up to 1 month.
- Reheat: In the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until warmed through.