This sweet and smokey barbecue sauce is made with fresh strawberries and chipotle peppers for a spicy kick. You’ll love this homemade Strawberry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce.
Homemade barbecue sauce is easy to make and the possibilities are endless. This particular recipe utilizes my favorite spring fruit: strawberries. Use this sauce anywhere you’d normally use barbecue sauce. Brush it on some chicken and throw it on the grill, or take it up a notch and make some homemade ribs. It doesn’t get any easier than my Secret to Crockpot Ribs. However you decide to use it, get ready to lick your fingers with BBQ goodness.
Watch the video to see just how easy it is to make this homemade BBQ sauce.
Strawberry Chipotle BBQ Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups strawberries hulled
- 3 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2/3 up brown sugar tightly packed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, heat olive oil. Add in onion and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add in garlic and saute for 60 seconds.
- Stir in strawberries, chipotles, ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, ground mustard, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the sauce or transfer to a blender. Puree until smooth. Return to heat and simmer another 10 minutes.
- Cool completely and store in an airtight container. Refrigerate up to 5 days.