Sauteed onions and chicken breasts are doused in buffalo sauce and smothered with melted cheese in this 15 minute meal that’s perfect for lunch or dinner.
This is one of our favorite weeknight dinners. We’ve been enjoying these fabulous sandwiches for years. It all started at a local sandwich shop that served these up. They made them right in front of us. We found ourselves craving them again and again, so why not make them at home? Sometimes I buy chicken in bulk and pound out several breasts to freeze just for this recipe. It’s spicy, it’s warm, and it’s totally satisfying. I hope you love this sandwich just as much as we do!
Quick and Easy Buffalo Chicken Subs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion halved and sliced
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/4-1/2 cup buffalo sauce
- 5 slices pepperjack cheese
- 4 hoagie buns
- 1 to mato sliced
- 4 large pieces lettuce
- 1/4 cup bleu cheese dressing
- Heat a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Pour in olive oil. Add in onions and saute until onions are soft and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place chicken breasts between two sheets of parchment or wax paper. Use a meat tenderizer or rolling pin to pound out the chicken until 1/4-inch thick.
- Remove sauteed onions from skillet and set aside in a bowl. Place chicken breasts directly into hot pan. Cook about 2 minutes, then flip and cook another 2 minutes.
- Use two spatulas to chop the chicken into bite-size pieces. If you are using a non-stick skillet, remove the chicken and cut on a cutting board and then return to skillet.
- Add onions back to pan with chicken and pour buffalo sauce over the whole thing. Use 1/4 to 1/2 cup depending on personal tastes for spiciness. Stir to combine. Continue cooking until all chicken is cooked through.
- Add slices of cheese over the top. Cover the pan until cheese is completely melted.
- Serve on toasted hoagie buns with tomato slices, lettuce, and a drizzle of bleu cheese dressing.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox!
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!