These enchiladas are stuffed with flavorful chicken and avocado, then smothered in a delicious green mole sauce. This recipe requires you first to make another recipe from my site, mole verde. It’s actually quite simple to make, but as with any mole, requires a long list of ingredients so I’ve kept these two recipes separate to avoid any confusion or intimidation. Trust me, these are enchiladas that you can easily make. The result is something straight from an upscale Mexican restaurant. This recipe is a copycat of the most amazing enchiladas from The Red Iguana in Salt Lake City. If you ever drive through you absolutely must stop in! Until then, give these a try at home. I promise, you’ll feel like you were joining me for dinner in Utah!
Mole Verde Chicken Enchiladas
- 1 recipe mole verde
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and whole
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 avocado diced
- 12-16 corn tortillas
- Make one recipe of mole verde.
- Fill a saucepan 3/4 full of water and pour in salt. Bring to a boil.
- Add chicken and garlic cloves to the water. Reduce heat to medium low, keeping water at a simmer. Cook chicken 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 pan.
- Remove cooked chicken from water and transfer to a mixing bowl. Shred the chicken with a fork. Season with cumin and chili powder. Pour in 1 cup of the mole verde and 1/2 cup sour cream, 1 cup shredded mozzarella, and the cilantro. Stir until combined. Gently fold in diced avocado.
- Roll enchiladas by placing a scoop of the chicken mixture into the center of a corn tortilla. Fold ends in and roll. Place in prepared 9x13 pan. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Pour mole verde sauce over all enchiladas to completely smotoher them with sauce. Sprinkle remaining shredded mozzarella cheese over the tops of the enchiladas.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cheese is starting to brown, about 30 minutes.
About The Stay At Home Chef
We share restaurant-quality recipes you can easily make at home. Our team of chefs and creatives is bringing back the family dinner in a really delicious way!