These tasty bites were created several years ago. You can check out the original baked version HERE. They are almost like little burritos filled with chorizo, chipotle peppers, refried beans, queso fresco, and cilantro. We’ve been eating them for years now, both baked and fried. Fried has become a family favorite. I mean, come on, fried food is delicious. These can be frozen and cooked later, just watch out for any ice chunks. Ice/water and oil is a recipe for disaster. I have successfully fried them after being frozen without a single burn. They are deliciously awesome and a super fun appetizer/dinner. Serve with this wonderful cilantro-lime crema sauce for an additional pop of flavor.
Time to Make It: 30-45 minutes
Yield: 24 egg rolls
1 package of egg roll wrappers (24)
1 can refried beans
1 log of beef chorizo
1 onion, diced
1/2 can chipotle peppers, drained and chopped
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 block queso fresco, crumbled
2 cups shredded cabbage
2 cups vegetable oil
1/2 cup crema (or sour cream)
1 lime, juiced
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
1/4 tsp salt
1. Saute chorizo over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes. Add in the oniones and saute for about 5 minutes more. Remove from pan and put in a mixing bowl.
2. Add the refried beans and chipotle peppers to the mixing bowl and stir to combine.
3. Layer your egg roll fillings onto your egg roll wrapper: cabbage, bean mixture, cheese, then cilantro. Roll (see cooking lesson below).
4. Fill a large skillet with enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom with about 1/2 inch oil. Heat to 350 degrees, adjusting the heat as needed to maintain 350 degrees. Working in small batches of 3-4, fry the eggrolls until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
5. For the cilantro-lime crema, combine the crema, lime juice, cilantro and salt. Whisk to combine.
6. Serve eggrolls warm with dipping sauce.
More Delish Appetizers:
Never miss a recipe! Subscribe to the weekly newsletter.