This fun recipe came about because my son wanted to have a Lego themed birthday party. I am not the craftiest person. In fact, I often refer to myself as the anti-craft. I just don’t have the patience for it! I knew I needed something super easy, and there’s not much easier than making rice krispie treats!
These easy to make Lego loving treats are just traditional rice krispie treats cut into rectangles, frosted with icing, and topped with M&Ms. It’s quite simple, but you may need a few tips to get you through it. Clearly I’m not the craftiest person so I always need some tips to make things cute!
The key to making this recipe work is to use icing. Icing is not frosting! It starts out as a thick liquid and hardens when exposed to air. This works great for this particular application as the icing melts into the rough surface of the Rice Krispie treat and creates a smooth and shiny surface, much like an actual Lego. Bonus, because the icing hardens they can be easily packaged without smearing!
You should be able to find cookie icing all made up and dyed in the baking section of your supermarket. If you want to make your own homemade icing, you can find a recipe HERE, but that does complicate things so if you are shooting for an easy food craft, stick with store bought. You can use whatever colors you’d like, just make sure you have coordinating colors of M&Ms.
- Cool your rice krispies completely before cutting.
- Make sure the tops of your rice krispies are as even and flat as possible
- Use one color of icing at a time because the icing will harden quickly.
- Spread the icing gently with a knife, but don’t add too much icing as it may spill over the edges.
- Place the M&Ms “m” side down so that the “m” doesn’t show
Lego Rice Krispie Treats
- 5 cups Rice Krispie cereal
- ¼ cup butter
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 large bag M&M candies
- multiple colors (red, blue, green, yellow) cookie decorator icing
- Pour Rice Krispie cereal into a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Once butter is melted, pour in mini marshmallows and stir constantly until marshmallows are completely melted and smooth.
- Pour marshmallows over Rice Krispies and stir together until completely mixed together.
- Scoop Rice Krispies into a lightly grease 9x13 pan. Press down using a piece of wax or parchment paper until flattened. Let cool completely before proceeding. You can pop them in the fridge for 5 minutes to speed up the cooling.
- While the Rice Krispies are cooling, separate out the M&Ms into colors that match the icing you are using. You will need 6 of the same color per Lego Krispie.
- Cut Rice Krispies into 18 rectangles. Squeeze some of the icing into a bowl. Dip the top of the Rice Krispie treat into the icing and use a butter knife to smooth it out. Place M&Ms on top in parallel rows of 3 while icing is still wet. Repeat with remaining Rice Krispie treats in varying colors of icing.
This recipe first appeared on The Stay At Home Chef on August 26, 2015
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox 😃
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!