Juicy ground lamb meatballs are drizzled with lemon-garlic sauce and wrapped up with veggies in a pita for a gyro that packs a flavorful punch!
Lately I’ve been heading to the grocery store with no list. This is a big deal for me. I am a total planner. My grocery lists are usually detailed and organized by location in the store. But, I’ve been feeling a lack of inspiration for new recipes. It’s an art and it can’t be forced. I’ve been heading to the store with no list so that I can just let the ingredients speak to me and see if inspiration finds its way to my plate. That is how ground lamb ended up in my grocery cart with all the fixings for gyros.
(We’ve covered this on the blog before, but let’s get the pronunciation right. It’s a Yee-row. Glad that awkwardness is over). The funny thing is I only planned on making the lamb meatballs. It wasn’t until I got home that I started making plans to turn them into gyros. The result was inspiration on a plate. The lamb meatballs are juicy and flavorful while the garlic sauce adds punch and acidity. Roll it up in a flat bread and you’ve got yourself a mean little sandwich. Wait, did I say little? These are actually huge and quite filling. I stuffed myself silly and was quite happy about it. It’s a great way to enjoy ground lamb.
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Lamb Meatball Gyros
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground all-spice
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Lemon Garlic Sauce
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 lemon , juiced (about 1/4 cup)
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 flat breads , or pita bread
- 1 cucumber , sliced
- 1 tomato , sliced
- 1/2 red onion , sliced
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a 9×13 glass baking dish.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine ground lamb, parsley, mint, cilantro, garlic, red wine vinegar, cumin, salt, allspice, red pepper flakes, cinnamon, and ginger. Knead together until well combined.
- Form meat into 12 balls. Place in prepared pan. Bake until cooked through, approximately 25 minutes.
- While the meatballs are baking, make the garlic sauce. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together greek yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, and salt until combined.
- Serve meatballs hot on a pita flat bread with cucumber slices, tomato slices, red onion slices, fresh cilantro, and drizzle with garlic sauce.