Grilled Lemon Herb Chicken Thigh Skewers are moist and flavorful and super easy to make. People are always blown away by how much delicious flavor these skewers pack in!
Boneless chicken thighs are one of the least expensive cuts of chicken, yet they have great flavor and moisture making them perfect for grilling. These skewers are a simple summer dinner that are also a crowd pleaser. Toss them in a marinade and then spend a few minutes grilling them up. That’s all it takes to produce these flavorful, tender chicken skewers the whole family will love.
Every time I serve these, people absolutely gobble them up and then proceed to ask for the recipe. It’s so simple it always surprises them! Just a few ingredients is all you really need to make these chicken skewers really sing on the grill. And the key is to use boneless skinless chicken thighs. They are my secret weapon on the grill and always stay super moist. Ditch the chicken breasts and head for the thighs when it comes to grilling.
I personally use metal skewers on the grill because they always hold up without breaking or catching on fire. The trick with metal skewers is to make sure you don’t grab the actual skewer before it cools down. They do cool quickly though and are usually ready to handle within 5 minutes of removing them from the grill.
If you are using wooden skewers, be sure to soak them in water for 30 minutes before you thread them and grill. Otherwise they’ll catch on fire! Either way, these skewers will be a great summer dinner from the grill.
For the photos I garnished my skewers with halved lemons and some fresh oregano. Neither of those makes a difference in the final flavor, and are 100% used for their pretty factor.
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Grilled Lemon Herb Chicken Thigh Skewers
- 2 lemons juiced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3-4 garlic cloves crushed
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs trimmed of large fatty deposits and cubed
- In a large ziploc bag, combine lemon juice, olive oil, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, and garlic. Give it a shake to combine and add in cubed chicken thighs. Seal and refrigerate to marinate 1 to 4 hours.
- Preheat an outdoor grill to medium-high heat. Make sure it is clean and well oiled so the chicken doesn’t stick.
- Thread the chicken cubes on metal skewers, 3 to 4 cubes per skewer leaving a little space between each piece. If using wooden skewers, be sure to pre-soak them in water for a half hour so they don’t catch fire.
- Grill chicken for 3 to 5 minutes. Rotate and grill another 3 to 5 minutes until chicken reaches 165 degrees. Actual cooking time will depend on thickness of chicken and temperature of grill. Serve hot.