Get ready to fall in love with Coconut Rolls. These sweet coconut-flavored rolls are amazingly delicious. It was love at first bite!
We recently went on a trip to the southern Caribbean to the island of Curacao. It was heavenly. We had quite a number of adventures there including snorkeling to a sunken tugboat and riding an ostrich, but those are stories for another time. One of my favorite things about the island was the food. Every night I felt like I was touring a version of Top Chef Caribbean.
I love sampling local eats when I travel. We poked our heads in every bakery we came across. They all smelled like coconut. Almost every bread we sampled had some sort of coconut element to it. My favorite pastry was a coconut sweet roll. It really was love at first bite and I knew I’d be replicating the recipe at home to share with all of you.
I have two variations on this bread. A plain roll that is delightful on its own and a variation with a sugary coconut filling, kind of like a cinnamon roll, except without the cinnamon. You can easily make your batch half and half and decide which one you like best. Both are absolutely wonderful.
Watch the video to see a step by step tutorial for making this delicious bread. I have an entire YouTube Channel filled with hundreds of video recipe tutorials where I walk you through the recipes every step of the way. Be sure to check it out and subscribe.
- 1 13.5 oz can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant dry yeast
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups melted butter
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 7 1/2 + cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tablespoons course sugar or sugar crystals optional
- Heat the coconut milk in a microwave safe dish until just warm to the touch, about 45 seconds.
- Pour into the bowl of a stand mixer. Add in yeast, sugar, salt, egg yolks, butter, coconut extract and 6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour. Start mixing on a low speed until just combined.
- Add in remaining 1 cup flour and continue mixing until you have a solid dough ball that doesn't stick to your hands. If you need to, add additional flour 1/2 cup at a time until the right consistency is reached.
- Transfer dough to a lightly greased bowl. Cover and let rise 2 hours.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured clean countertop. Roll into a large rectangle, about 1.2 inch thick. Slice into 12 long strips.
- Roll each strip to form a spiral rolled dough. Place onto a 2 lightly greased baking sheets. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar crystals if using.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, until the tops are a light golden brown.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox!
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!