Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes are a fun new way to serve up single sized individual portions. These are just way too much fun!
I know how much you guys love my famous Cinnamon Rolls. They really are the best and there are hundreds of rave reviews. I’ve taken that same recipe and turned it into something fun and new. Because who doesn’t love a cute little cupcake?
This recipe makes 18 cute little cinnamon roll cupcakes in a standard sized muffin tin. You’d have to make significant adjustments to how you shape your rolls in order to accommodate a mini muffin tin, and it’s not something I recommend.
This recipe is great for a brunch or party. It adds a fun, whimsical twist to your standard cinnamon roll. Feel free to frost them however you’d like. You can use a butter knife for a rustic feel, or transfer your frosting to a piping bag to create designs and swirls.
PRO TIP: Use silicone muffin liners for this recipe for the easiest removal. If you don’t have silicone liners, you can spray your cups with a little nonstick cooking spray. Either way, remove the cupcakes from the muffin tin immediately after removing from the oven otherwise your wrapper may absorb more of the caramelized, buttery sugar and get a bit sticky.
It’s important to follow the instructions on this recipe for the width and length of the cinnamon roll dough, otherwise your little cupcakes may not fit into their liners. If this happens, you can always unroll your slice a little bit and trim off some of the excess and re-roll.
Watch the video below where I walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, especially with a recipe like this. I’ve got you covered in my very own cooking show so give it a watch. You can see all of the episodes over on YouTube, or in with each of their respective recipes here on my website.
Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1 tablespoon instant dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons salted butter softened
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup salted butter softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup salted butter softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine warm milk, yeast, sugar, salt, butter, and egg. Add in flour. Using a dough hook, turn the mixer on to a low speed.
- Once the flour starts to incorporate into the dough, increase the speed to a medium range. Add more flour as necessary so that the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. The dough mixture should be tacky, but not stick to your hands. It should be soft. Add more or less flour until the dough reaches the desired consistency. The amount of flour you add in bread making is always an approximation and you should go by feel.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly greased mixing bowl. Cover with a towel and let rise until double in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with liners or lightly grease.
- Punch down the dough and roll into a 12inch by 20inch rectangle.
- Spread the softened butter out over the dough In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle on top of the butter. Roll up tightly lengthwise so you have one long roll. Use a sharp knife to cut the dough into 18 slices (1 inch) slices
- Bake the cupcake rolls for about 15 minutes, until just kissed with brown on top.
- While the cinnamon rolls are baking, make the cream cheese frosting by using a hand mixer to whip together cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract in a bowl until light and fluffy. Whip in powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time until thickened.
- Frost the rolls once cooled. Serve immediately or cool and store. Stays good for 4 to 5 days.