I was brainstorming recipe ideas one day and really wanted to make a cornbread waffle. The idea quickly turned into creating a cornbread waffle with honey butter syrup. And then spiraled further to take it over the top with bacon and jalapeno. After some experimentation I’ve developed what is one crazy delicious breakfast. The waffles themselves lean heavily towards the savory side, while the syrup adds a level of sweetness appropriate for waffles. This combination will take you out of any waffle rut you might be in (because I’m sure being stuck in a waffle rut is a total world problem). You can be boring and leave out the bacon and jalapeno if you roll that way, but really, the bacon and jalapeno take it over the top. We all know this is a classic combination so it works. It’s simply now available in waffle form! Get one while they last! End world waffle rut problems! You’ll practically be saving the planet.
Ready In: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 Belgian waffles
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 pound crispy bacon, crumbled
1 jalapeno, finely diced
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon buttermilk or milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat a waffle griddle, preferably a Belgian waffle griddle.
2. In a large mixing bowl, prepare the waffle batter by whisking together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
3. Whisk in eggs, buttermilk, and vegetable until combined.
4. Stir in bacon and jalapeno.
5. Scoop batter onto heated waffle grill, 1/4 of the batter at a time.
6. Make the syrup by simply whisking together the melted butter, honey, buttermilk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a bowl.
7. Serve waffles hot topped with syrup.