The Best Key Lime Pie has the most amazing homemade graham cracker shortbread crust, with a perfectly creamy and tart filling, and homemade whipped cream on top. It is simple to prepare and so good, you will want to eat the whole pie in one sitting!
If you have had a difficult experience with key lime pie in the past, stay with us here, because this is truly the easiest key lime pie recipe. We know a lot of recipes are no-bake, and while that gives the illusion of an easy recipe, it’s actually so much more difficult! We have had so many issues with no-bake pie recipes setting, so we are bringing you a key lime pie that is meant to be baked in the oven to make this the easiest and most delicious key lime pie ever! We love to bring this to family parties, but this is also just an amazing dessert to make at home to treat yourself. Go ahead and serve yourself that extra slice, we won’t judge.
While we know that freshly squeezed juice is always best, it is near impossible to find key limes outside of Florida! You have the option to freshly squeeze key limes if they are available in your area, use regular limes, or use store-bought key lime juice. You can find it in the produce section of your local grocery store.
Graham Cracker Crust Options:
This recipe uses a graham cracker flavored shortbread crust that is game-changing delicious. There is truly no contest between this crust and a store-bought graham crakcer crust. Homemade is always going to taste so much better! However, life happens and sometimes you need a shortcut. You can always substitute with a store-bought graham cracker crust if needed.
Pro Tip: Not all butter is created equal – fat contents vary – so it is important that the the final uncooked product for the crust is dry and somewhat crumbly. If it is too sticky add in 1 tablespoon of flour until it resembles wet sand.
Make Ahead Instructions:
You can make the crust for this recipe up to 3 days ahead of time, stored at room temperature. However, you will want to wait to make the filling until the day of serving to keep the crust from getting too soft.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. The longer this pie sits, the crust will start to turn soft.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious pie recipes:
Watch the video below where Caytlin will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
The Best Key Lime Pie
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 1/8 cup honey
- 1/8 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Key Lime Pie Filling
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup key lime juice
Whipped Cream Topping
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/8 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a stand mixer, beat together butter, honey, brown sugar, and vanilla. Add in flour and salt and mix until combined. Don't overwork it. Mixture will be crumbly.
- Press the mixture into a 9-inch standard pie plate. Bake for 7 minutes.
Key Lime Filling
- Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a stand mixer, mix the egg yolks by themselves for 1 minute on medium-high speed. Add in heavy cream and mix again for 1 full minute on medium-high speed. It should appear fluffy.
- Add in the sweetened condensed milk and mix for 1 minute on medium-high and then add in key-lime juice. Mix for another 30 seconds on a low-medium speed.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pie shell. Bake for 15 minutes or until filling is set.
- Let cool for 1 hour before moving to the fridge to chill completely, about 4 more hours. Top with whipped cream and enjoy!
- Combine the heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar in a bowl and whip until it forms stiff peaks.