We eat a lot of homemade chicken nuggets in our house. The kids love them. The adults love them. Everyone is happy. I tend to add in health stuff too like wheat bran and wheat germ in place of bread crumbs. Look at the recipe below. You could use a whole cup of bread crumbs, or you could do half bread crumbs, quarter wheat germ and, quarter flax seed. If you are feeling really healthy, it also works to get rid of the bread crumbs all together and do a third wheat germ, a third wheat bran, and a third flax seed. It’s awesome that way. I decided to a fun variation on my standard chicken nugget and do a hot sauce version. We loved it! Seriously, even the kids. I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old and even though they both recognized that there was “spicy” in it, they still gobbled their share right up. And the adults were in nugget heaven! These can also be frozen unbaked and popped in the oven on a busy night. Add 5-10 minutes to the baking time. Ditch the drive through and give homemade chicken nuggets a try. You might fall in love.
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1/2 cup paremsan cheese, freshly grated
1/2 tsp salt
2 tablespoons basil
1 tablespoon oregano
1/2 cup Frank’s Buffalo Hot Sauce
1/2 cup butter
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Trim chicken breast of any fat. Cut into 1-inch, nugget sized pieces.
3. In a small bowl mix together the bread crumbs, wheat germ, flax seed, parmesan, salt, basil and oregano. If you don’t want to use wheat germ or flax seed simply replace it with the same amount of bread crumbs.
4. In another small microwave-safe bowl, pour in the buffalo hot sauce, put the stick of butter in, and melt the stick of butter in the microwave. I tend to do 15 seconds at a time with a little swish and swirl in between so the butter doesn’t explode all over the microwave.
5. Dip the chicken pieces into the hot sauce/butter and then roll them around in the breadcrumb mixture. Make sure they are good and coated.
6. Places the coated chicken nuggets onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
7. Bake in the oven for about 25-30 minutes until the nuggets are browned and cooked through.