There’s nothing like chowing down on a corn dog at Disneyland while you wait for the parade. I don’t like hot dogs. Shoot, I don’t even really like corn dogs. But the ones at Disneyland? Why, they are amazing! There’s just nothing like a hand dipped corn dog. We had annual passes to Disneyland for 2 years and lived just 45 minutes away. I may have went every week (or more!). One of our favorite things to do was to watch the parade. And with The Little Red Wagon right next to our favorite parade watching spot….well, we always grabbed one while we waited.
I found the sticks in the craft section at Walmart. They were just called “craft sticks.” I also made more than we could eat (1 is pretty filling!) so I froze the rest. Reheat in the oven on a baking sheet at 400 degrees for about 10-12 minutes. Enjoy your dog!
Watch the video to see exactly how it’s done. And be sure to check out my YouTube channel where you can find more than 100 video recipes for your drool enjoyment!
Disneyland Style Hand Dipped Corn Dogs
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sguar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 hot dogs
- Popsicle or craft sticks
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Heat your vegetable oil in a large pot to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Use a whisk to beat in the egg, milk, and vegetable oil.
- Insert the popsicle or craft sticks into each hot dog leaving enough of the stick showing to create a handle.
- Dip each hot dog into the batter. I found it best to use my fingers to spread out a nice thick coat of the batter (because the corn part of the dog is my favorite!). After dipping put immediately into the hot oil to fry.
- Each one only takes 3-4 minutes. Fry each dog until golden brown. Put on paper towels to drain.
This recipe was originally published on The Stay At Home Chef on June 10, 2013.