These healthy vegetarian sweet potato burritos are sweet, salt, and a little smokey.
Sweet potato burritos are addictively amazing. I’ve been eating them for years and they are totally delicious. In this recipe I utilize the smokiness of the chipotle which complements the sweetness of the sweet potatoes and the saltiness of the black beans. Sweet, salty, and smoky. Yum! And, hello, the cheese! These are great for a freezable lunch and just need to be popped in the microwave for a minute or two for reheating. I usually serve it with a side of sour cream, though I just was eating one with some guacamole and…wow. Enjoy this wonderful meatless meal!
Watch the video to see how to make this addicting burritos!
Chipotle Sweet Potato Burritos
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 white onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 cups https://spoonacular.com/cdn/ingredients_100x100/black-beans.jpg canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce minced
- 2 avocados peeled pitted and diced
- 8 10 inch flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Place cubed sweet potatoes in a resealable plastic bag. Dust with 1 tsp cumin, and chili powder. Pour in 1 tablespoon olive oil and seal the bag. Give the bag some good shaking so that all of the sweet potato cubes get coated with spices. Spread sweet potatoes out on the prepared baking sheet and cook in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes, until sweet potatoes are soft. Keep the oven on.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium-high heat, saute the onion in the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil for about 5 minutes, until soft. Add in the minced garlic, chipotle peppers, and remaining 1 teaspoon cumin and saute for about another minute to release the flavors. Remove from heat and stir in the black beans and set aside.
- Assemble your burritos by first putting on a scoop of sweet potatoes down the center, then a nice helping of the beans, some avocado, then a fistful of cheese. Fold burrito style. Place the assembled burritos on another baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 to 15 minutes, until cheese is melted. Serve hot with sour cream or guacamole.