One of our most frequent dinners is chicken nuggets. It is something I know my kids will eat with no complaint, and I make my chicken nuggets from scratch in a way that I know I will love them too. These chicken nuggets are simple, yet yield a flavorful, moist baked version of chicken nuggets that grown ups can love just as much as kids. I’ve been making these for years and have served them to numerous kids and adults, always with raving reviews. I know your family will love it too!
These chicken nuggets use real chicken breast meat so you know they will be a way higher quality than that ground bunch of mystery stuff you find in the drive thru. They are dipped in butter and rolled in a flavorful bread crumb mixture that includes cheese. Yes, cheese. Make everything better, am I right?
MOM TIP: You can even make these ahead of time and freeze them before baking for a quick meal. Just pop the baking tray into the freezer instead of the oven and then transfer them to a resealable plastic freezer bag once they are frozen. When you are ready to eat them, just pop them back onto a baking sheet. Add 10-15 minutes to your baking time.
The Best Baked Chicken Nuggets
- 3 to 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cubed
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small mixing bowl or dredging pan combine bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, basil, oregano, and salt.
- Working one at a time, or in small batches, dip chicken pieces in butter to coat, then transfer to bread crumb mixture to coat. Place on a large baking sheet, with spaces between nuggets for even cooking. You will probably need 2 baking sheets for this much chicken.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes until cooked through. You can always test one of the largest nuggets by cutting it in half to make sure it isn't pink