Easy Authentic Hummus
Authentic hummus is easy to make at home with this simple and delicious recipe. We’ve also included two popular flavor options for Garlic Hummus and Roasted Red Bell Pepper Hummus.
Servings: 8 servings
- 1/4 cup tahini paste
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 3 cups chickpeas (garbanzo beans) cooked or canned
- 2-3 tablespoons water
Add tahini paste, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, cumin (if using) and salt to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth, 30 to 60 seconds.
Rinse, drain, and remove any shells from chickpeas and add to the food processor. Blend for 3 minutes. If mixture is too thick, add 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water to thin it out to desired consistency.
Taste the mixture and add more salt to taste to suit personal preference.
Transfer to a serving bowl and drizzle with remaining olive oil. Optional garnishes include chopped parsley, paprika, pine nuts, chopped olives, or chopped roasted red bell pepper. Store in refrigerator.
Some popular hummus flavors are garlic, roasted garlic and roasted red bell pepper. Here is how you can make them:
- Garlic Hummus: To make garlic hummus, add 4-6 extra cloves of garlic to the recipe and blend in thoroughly with the rest of the ingredients.
- Roasted Garlic Hummus: For roasted garlic hummus, start by roasting your garlic. This is done by cutting the off the top or narrow end of a bulb of garlic, then drizzling with olive oil. Wrap that in aluminum foil, and roast in 400 degree Fahrenheit oven for 30-40 minutes. This tones down the garlic in terms of strength, and alters the flavor. Swap the whole bulb of garlic out for the two cloves in the original recipe. It is delicious!
- Roasted Red Bell Pepper: To make this flavor of hummus, you will start by either roasting a red bell pepper or buying a jar of roasted red bell pepper. A 12 ounce jar contains about one full red bell pepper. Drain the jar and add it to the original recipe with the garbanzo beans and blend thoroughly.
Calories: 194kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 80mg | Potassium: 221mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 17IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 2mg