Comfort Corn Chowder
Comfort Corn Chowder has it all—sweet corn, satisfying potatoes and mouth watering bacon—all in one easy to make soup!
Servings: 6 servings
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 small white onion diced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups yukon gold or red potatoes peeled and cubed
- 4 cups frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 pound bacon cooked and crumbled (optional)
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat. The entire soup will be made in this pot so make sure it is big enough.
Add in the onions and saute for about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the flour until a paste forms and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
Whisk in the chicken stock until smooth and bring to a boil. Add in the potatoes, corn, sugar, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15-20 minutes (cooking time will depend on how large you cut your potatoes).
When the potatoes are tender, add in the milk and cream and stir to combine. Bring to a boil and simmer for another 5 minutes. Taste and season with additional salt and white pepper as desired. Serve hot topped with crumbled bacon (optional).
- The flour in this recipe can be replaced with 1 ½ tablespoons of cornstarch
- White pepper is used in this recipe so that the black flakes are not visible for a more appealing dish. However, if you don't have white pepper you could always use black pepper, you'll just have a speckled soup.
Calories: 633kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 48g | Saturated Fat: 25g | Cholesterol: 133mg | Sodium: 1582mg | Potassium: 748mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1224IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 128mg | Iron: 1mg