How to Make Homemade Extracts (Any flavor!)
Pure, homemade extracts are easy to make and add better flavor to your cooking and baking. These simple instructions can be used to make any extract flavor using quality ingredients—no fillers, imitation flavors or corn syrup!
Servings: 8 ounces
Prepare the raw ingredient(s) for extraction. For vanilla extract, use a sharp knife to split the vanilla pod open lengthwise to expose the tiny seeds inside.
Place the raw ingredient inside an 8 ounce glass bottle or mason jar.
Pour vodka into bottle to fill, leaving a 1/2-inch space between the vodka and the top of the bottle.
Place the lid on the jar to close. Let sit for 6 weeks, giving the bottle a gentle shake every 2-3 days. Be sure to store them in a cool, dry place away from sunlight.
The extracts will be ready for use after 6 weeks. If you'd like, you can strain the raw ingredients from the extract bottles. Extracts stay good for at least several years.
- Vanilla Extract: 4 whole vanilla bean pods (3 to 4 inch) + 8 ounces vodka
- Almond Extract: 1/2 cup raw unsalted slivered almonds + 8 ounces vodka
- Lemon Extract: 2 lemon rinds, peeled into strips + 8 ounces vodka
- Orange Extract: 1 large orange rind, peeled into strips + 8 ounces vodka
- Mint Extract: 1 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves+ 8 ounces vodka
- Coconut Extract: 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh coconut meat + 8 ounces vodka
- Cinnamon Extract: 4 sticks whole cinnamon + 8 ounces vodka
Serving: 1teaspoon | Calories: 67kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1mg