Comfort Corn Chowder
Comfort Corn Chowder has it all—sweet corn, satisfying potatoes and mouth watering bacon—all in one easy to make soup!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 small white onion diced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups yukon gold or red potatoes peeled and cubed
- 4 cups frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 pound bacon cooked and crumbled (optional)
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat. The entire soup will be made in this pot so make sure it is big enough.
Add in the onions and saute for about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the flour until a paste forms and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
Whisk in the chicken stock until smooth and bring to a boil. Add in the potatoes, corn, sugar, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15-20 minutes (cooking time will depend on how large you cut your potatoes).
When the potatoes are tender, add in the milk and cream and stir to combine. Bring to a boil and simmer for another 5 minutes. Taste and season with additional salt and white pepper as desired. Serve hot topped with crumbled bacon (optional).
- The flour in this recipe can be replaced with 1 ½ tablespoons of cornstarch
- White pepper is used in this recipe so that the black flakes are not visible for a more appealing dish. However, if you don't have white pepper you could always use black pepper, you'll just have a speckled soup.
Calories: 633kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 48g | Saturated Fat: 25g | Cholesterol: 133mg | Sodium: 1582mg | Potassium: 748mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1224IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 128mg | Iron: 1mg