Simple Sweet Potato Soup
Simple Sweet Potato Soup is easy to make with the savory flavors of ginger and garlic. Add cheese to give the soup more body and flavor.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white onion diced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes peeled, cut into bite sized pieces
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white or black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions or chives optional
Place a large soup pot on the stove over medium high heat. Add in olive oil and onion and saute until tender, about 7 minutes. Add in garlic and ginger and saute 1 minute more.
Add in sweet potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Pour in vegetable broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium and simmer until sweet potatoes are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
Transfer the soup mixture to a blender and blend in batches until smooth, or use an immersion blender.
Return to a pot over low heat and add in the cheddar cheese. Stir until melted. Taste and add more salt if desired. Serve topped with green onions or chives.