I make pumpkin scones once a year. Pumpkin scone day is a day we look forward to. It is a day we crave. It is a day we celebrate and rejoice. I’m serious. The excitement it generates is unbelievable. We just want to shout it from the rooftops to the world. IT’S PUMPKIN SCONE DAY! You would think this was ridiculous unless you tried one. And then, well, then you’d start anticipating pumpkin scone day too, like it’s Christmas or something. Pumpkin scones one paper are just fried pumpkin dough, but when you put one in your mouth, all smothered in cinnamon cream cheese butter, and it melts….well, that is just something worth celebrating. So, happy pumpkin scone day! Wherever and whenever you are!
1 1/2 tsp instant yeast
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup milk, warmed (warm to the touch)
3 1/2 -4 cups flour
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 pinch cloves
1/2 tsp salt
4 tablespoons cold butter, cut in pieces
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1 cup pumpkin puree (8 oz)
oil for frying
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer combine the yeast, sugar, and warm milk. Let stand a few minutes, until foamy.
2. Meanwhile, in a second mixing bowl, combine 2 cups flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Add cold butter, and cut in using a pastry cutter until mixture resembles cornmeal.
3. Put dry ingredients in large bowl with the yeast. Mix slightly on a low speed for 30-60 seconds.
4. Add egg and pumpkin. Beat on low until well mixed.
5. Continue to mix on low (knead), adding small amounts of the remaining flour until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
6. Knead on a medium speed another 3-4 minutes, and then transfer to a well greased bowl. Cover and let rise until double (about 1 hour).
7. Punch the dough down and transfer to a floured counter. Break off walnut sized pieces. Roll the balls out into flat pieces, fairly thin, but not transparent.
8. Fry in hot oil (375 degrees) on both sides until golden brown. Cool on a paper towel covered rack. Serve with cream cheese butter.
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Butter
1 8 oz pkg. cream cheese, softened
1/2 C butter, softened
1 C powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Put all the ingredients in a small mixing bowl and whip with a hand mixer until smooth.
2. Refrigerate any leftovers.