Learn how to make Perfect Homemade French Bread. It only requires a handful of ingredients to make perfect bakery style bread at home!
There’s nothing quite like homemade bread. This homemade French bread is perfectly soft, with a nice chewy crust. It’s also incredible simple and easy to make at home using just a handful of ingredients that most bakers will already have on hand.
It really doesn’t take much time either. Yes, it’s nearly 3 hours from start to finish, but your actual hands on time is quite minimal. A few minutes here, a few minutes there, and you have deliciously perfect homemade french bread at home.
If you come to love homemade french bread, I highly recommend investing in a french bread pan. It is perforated (has a lot of holes) which allows for even heat circulation. This ensures the best, highest quality of loaf at home. I highly recommend purchasing one. They are cheap and make a world of difference in the end result.
If you don’t have a French bread pan, you can always use a regular baking sheet. Just be sure to give your loaves enough space in between them so that they don’t end up connected.
If you enjoy making homemade bread, be sure to check out my other homemade bread recipes. You may be interested in my famous Homemade Dinner Rolls or maybe you are more interested in other loaf recipes like my Rosemary Focaccia or my Homemade Rye Bread. If you are feeling more adventurous, be sure to check out my Cinnamon Roll Twist Bread and my Jalapeno Cheese Bread.
Making your own perfect loaf of French bread is all about technique. I’ve created a video to give you a visual reference beyond the written recipe. Watch the video below where I walk you through every step of the recipe so that you can get the perfect loaf at home as well.
How to make Perfect Homemade French Bread
Perfect Homemade French Bread
- 1 1/2 tablespoons instant dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 5 1/2 - 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg beaten
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add yeast, water, salt, and 5 cups of flour. Knead on a slow speed until the flour has started to combine. Increase speed to medium and gradually add in remaining flour until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Transfer to a lightly greased mixing bowl, cover with a towel, and let rise until double in size, about 1 hour.
- Divide dough in half. Roll each half into a large rectangle. Roll up tightly from the long end. Place onto a lightly greased baking sheet or into a french bread pan. Cover and let rise 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Use a sharp knife to cut diagonal slashes on the top of each bread loaf, about 1/4 inch deep. Brush loaves with beaten egg.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, until golden brown.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox!
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!