Watch the video where I walk you through every step of making this bread. Not only will you learn the correct pronunciation, you’ll also get the visual on how to do that tricky 6 stranded braid.
Homemade Challah Bread with a 6 Stranded Braid
- 2 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1/2 cup honey
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 8-9 cups flour
- 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water egg wash
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the warm water, yeast, honey, vegetable oil, eggs, and salt. Add in the flour 1 cup at a time, mixing on a low speed in between. Mix until well combined and the dough is smooth and elastic. Add a little more flour if it is still sticking to the side of the bowl. The dough will be slightly sticky (you don't want a stiff dough), but it should be able to form a ball in the mixer.
- Place the dough into a bowl that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Let rise for 1 1/2 hours.
- Divide the dough into two loaves. For each loaf, divide the dough into 6 balls and roll into strands about 12 to 15 inches long (or 3 if you want to do a normal braid). Pinch the strands together at one end and braid (see video) Once you reach the end of the strands pinch them together. Repeat with the other loaf.
- Place the braided loaves on a baking sheet covered with nonstick cooking spray. Let rise 1 hour.
- In a small bowl whisk together the 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water. Brush it over the loaves. This is called an egg wash.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes. Cool before slicing.
About The Stay At Home Chef
We share restaurant-quality recipes you can easily make at home. Our team of chefs and creatives is bringing back the family dinner in a really delicious way!