Creamy Chicken Casserole has a made-from-scratch sauce and a crunchy parmesan Ritz topping that takes it over the top. Your family will love this easy dinner!
The secret to what makes this recipe SO good, is the parmesan Ritz topping. Seriously though, we love everything about this dish. You won’t find a cream-of-anything in here, as we are keeping it old school with this made from scratch sauce, just like your mom made it.
If you’ve never made sauce from scratch before, you’ll be surprised at how easy it is. You’ll start with a roux, which is a mixture of 50/50 fat and flour (not to be confused with a slurry or gravy), which you will then add to with your liquid of choice. Depending on the recipe, chicken and beef broth are common, however, we frequently find ourselves reaching for the carton of milk.
Pro tip: make sure you let the butter and flour mixture cook for a full 1-2 minutes before adding in the broth. Raw flour really needs that time to cook for the best flavor. Also, don’t rush pouring the chicken broth and milk. Trust us.
Do I have to use Ritz crackers?
No, you really don’t. You do want to use some sort of butter style cracker though. Do you eat as organically as possible? Grab some Late July Classic Crackers! Want your dollar to stretch further? Generic store brand isn’t missing anything! Use what works best for your family.
Does Creamy Chicken Casserole work with any other type of pasta?
This recipe uses egg noodles, but we’re big believers in using what you have on hand as much as possible, without sacrificing the intent of the recipe. Any short, tube-shaped pasta would work well here: Penne, Rigatoni, and Ziti are great examples of this. These pastas can handle the thick sauce.
My kids hate peas. Can I use a different vegetable?
We’ve all been there. Picky eaters can make or break a family meal. Broccoli is a stellar substitute in this casserole. Simply steam your broccoli florets first before adding in with the chicken.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious casserole recipes:
- Mom’s Chicken Pot Pie
- The Best Tuna Casserole
- Creamy Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Best Baked Chicken and Rice Casserole
Watch the video below where Rachel will walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and we’ve always got you covered with our cooking show. You can find the complete collection of recipes on YouTube, Facebook Watch, or our Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Creamy Chicken Casserole
- 12 ounces egg noodles
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 white onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 pound cooked diced chicken
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crushed Ritz crackers
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2-3 teaspoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and lightly grease a 9×13 pan. Cook the egg noodles according to the package directions. Drain and pour pasta to prepared pan.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Add in onion and saute 5 to 7 minutes, until softened. Stir in garlic and flour and cook 1 minute. Slowly pour in chicken broth and milk, season with salt and pepper, and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.
- Once mixture has thickened, stir in peas, cheddar cheese, and chicken. Turn off the heat and stir until cheese has melted. Pour over pasta in the 9×13 pan.
- In a small bowl, use a fork to mix together crushed crackers, parmesan, and olive oil. Sprinkle over the pasta.
- Bake in the preheated oven, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes, until crackers are lightly browned. Serve hot.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox!
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!