Churros, those wonderful fried dough sticks covered with cinnamon sugar, get a recipe mash up with waffles for a killer dessert in my Churro Waffles with Caramel Pineapple.
Hi everyone, it’s Kevin from Kevin Is Cooking. Special thanks to Rachel for letting me contribute here on The Stay at Home Chef. For today’s post I’m sharing my Churro Waffles with Pineapple and Caramel.
Sometimes around our house we’ll have things typically reserved for breakfast like cold cereal, toast with Nutella or a waffle that can be popped in the toaster for a quick snack at night. So the other day when I was wanting to make churros I thought about the deep frying oil cleanup and doing the churro treatment to a waffle was next up on the list.
My Other Recipes
No store bought waffles from the freezer section, though feel free to use, I made my own.
My Churro Waffles start with a fluffy, egg white whipped batter to keep them light and after getting a butter slather and cinnamon sugar dusting are topped with caramel pineapple pieces for one tasty dessert.
My first couple of batches of dough were more choux pastry geared to stay true to the original churro batter. These just never seemed to cook through completely and the results were usually heavy.
I wanted light and fluffy, like it gets after getting deep fried so back to the kitchen I went and decided to use my tried and true waffle recipe, but with a twist.
What I ended up doing was separating the egg whites from the yolks and whipped them to stiff peaks and added sugar to make a meringue like base. The remaining wet and dry ingredients were mixed and the egg white mixture folded in to make a airy batter.
Success in my book. These cooked up great, golden brown and crispy on the outside and light and airy on the inside.
A slather of melted butter and a roll in some cinnamon sugar and I was ready. Except to make these extra special I chopped up some pineapple I had on hand into a small dice and cooked them a bit in caramel to pour on top. With whipped cream. Because.
Festive and great for special occasions and sure to impress house guests, too, whether for breakfast or a dessert.
Churro Waffles with Pineapple and Caramel
- 3 large eggs separated
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup pineapple diced small
- 1/2 cup caramel
- whipped cream
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and the salt. Set aside.
- In another small bowl whisk together the egg yolks, milk, butter and vanilla. Set aside.
- Melt butter for assembly and set aside. Dice pineapple and mix together with caramel in a small bowl, set aside. If making your own whipped cream do this and then chill. In a small bowl combine the sugar and cinnamon, set aside.
- In a bowl or stand mixer whip the egg whites until soft peaks form and slowly add the sugar. Continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix together. Using a spatula, gently fold in the whipped egg whites and incorporate until combined.
- Cook waffles per your waffle manufacturer’s instructions.
- Brush each cooked waffle on both sides with butter and dredge each side in a bowl of the cinnamon sugar. Press to adhere all over.
- Serve with a spoonful of caramel pineapple and a dollop of whipped cream.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox ?
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!