The Most Amazing Chocolate Cupcake Recipe is here! Moist, chocolatey perfection. These are the chocolate cupcakes you’ve been dreaming of!
I know how much you guys love my recipe for The Most Amazing Chocolate Cake. I can’t blame you! It truly is the perfect chocolate cake and there are thousands of reviews agreeing with me. One of the most common questions I get with that cake is: can I make cupcakes with it? You sure can! And now I’ve scaled back the recipe so that it is perfect for cupcakes, making an even 24 cupcakes.
My Other Recipes
This is the best chocolate cupcake recipe in the world and it’s pretty easy to make too. They are unbelievable moist, about as perfect as they come. No more boxed cake mixes! I’ve kept this recipe as simple as possible so that even an inexperienced baker can be successful with it.
TIPS AND TRICKS AND FAQ
Q: Can I make this recipe into a two layer cake?
A: Yes you can! This recipe will fill two, 9 inch cake rounds. It should bake for approximately 30-35 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
Q: Do I have to use buttermilk? What is buttermilk? Is there a buttermilk substitute?
A: Yes, buttermilk is necessary for this recipe. It has to do with the way it interacts with other ingredients. Buttermilk is the liquid leftover after churning butter. Check out my more in depth post about how to make buttermilk substitute.
Q: Do you have a substitute for eggs?
A: There are numerous options for substituting eggs in baking recipes. You can always try using one of those.
Q: Can I use a different frosting?
A: You certainly can! You are also welcome to use any other frosting recipe that you like. This recipe includes a plain chocolate buttercream, or you can use a whipped chocolate ganache or a cream cheese buttercream.
Q: Won’t the hot water cook the eggs?
A: No. It won’t. You aren’t using boiling water and you shouldn’t.
Q: Can I substitute coffee for the hot water?
A: Yes you can. I simply don’t prefer the addition of coffee to my chocolate cake.
Q: What kind of cocoa powder did you use?
A: I used Hershey’s Unsweetened Cocoa Powder in order to use a brand that is most widely available to my readers. I’m also fond of using higher quality cocoa powders like Ghiradelli’s or cocoa powders from specialty chocolatier shops, but those are pretty pricey. I don’t recommend using cheap store brands.
Q: Can I make this recipe gluten free?
A: Use gluten free flours at your own risk. Not all gluten free flours are equal and most don’t work as a straight forward substitute for all-purpose flour. I have not tested any gluten free flours in this recipe as I do not have Celiac’s disease.
Watch the video below where I walk you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, and I’ve always got you covered with my very own cooking show. You can see the entire collection over on YouTube.
Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
The Most Amazing Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup cups warm water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups butter softened
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners. Recipe makes 24 cupcakes so you may have to cook it in batches unless you have two muffin tins.
- Mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a stand mixer using a low speed until combined.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, warm water, oil, and vanilla. Beat on a medium speed until smooth. This should take just a couple of minutes. Scrape the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl to make sure everything got mixed in.
- Fill each cupcake 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes until the cupcakes meet the toothpick test (stick a toothpick in and it comes out clean). Remove from tins and cool completely.
- Make the frosting by In a large bowl, beat butter until fluffy using a hand mixer. Add in cocoa powder and vanilla extract. Beat until combined. Beat in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating in between.
- Transfer frosting to a piping bag and pipe onto completely cooled cupcakes.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox ?
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!