A delicious baked pasta dish with homemade mini meatballs and sauteed mushrooms, topped off with a mozzarella-cream cheese, for the ultimate baked ziti.
Get ready for a pasta dish the whole family will love! This is sure to become a staple on your kitchen table. Of course, I’m making everything from scratch, including the mini-meatballs. You could totally get away with store bought meatballs and sauce if you need to, but homemade is always so much better. Consider making a huge batch of the meatballs and freezing them for an easy and delicious weeknight meal. I do that all the time! And I always have homemade spaghetti sauce in the freezer. We are so in love, that’ll never go away. No matter how you float it, this ziti is perfection. We tested it lots of different ways, but this…this is perfection to us.
Be sure to watch the video to see just how to make this fabulous pasta dish.
Baked Ziti with Mushrooms and Meatballs
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 pound sliced mushrooms
- 24 ounces spaghetti sauce
- 1 pound ziti pasta
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- In a large mixing bowl, make your meatballs by combining ground beef, bread crumbs, basil, oregano, salt, red pepper flakes, worcestershire sauce, and milk. Knead together until well mixed. Form into mini meatballs using about 1 tablespoon of meat for each ball. Place meatballs on prepared baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- While your meatballs are baking, pour olive oil into a large dutch oven, or oven safe pot, over medium-high heat. Pour in diced onion and mushrooms. Saute for 5 to 7 minutes until onions are soft and translucent, and mushrooms are cooked. Pour in spaghetti sauce, reduce heat, and let simmer until pasta and meatballs are ready.
- Cook pasta in boiling water, according to package directions.
- Prepare the cheese topping in a small mixing bowl by combining cream cheese and ricotta. Mix together until smooth.
- Once the pasta is done, pour it into the large pot with the sauce. Once meatballs are cooked, gently stir them in being careful not to break them up. Spread cheese mixture on top, and sprinkle parmesan cheese over.
- Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees and place the entire pot into the oven. Bake for 20 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve hot.