Thai meatballs with a filipino panci style noodle? It totally works. My kids are still young which means they like familiarity. So when it comes to food I like to introduce them to new flavors by making it in a form that will be visually familiar to them. You see where I’m going here? My kids are guaranteed to eat spaghetti and meatballs. They love it. So, I decided to try out a completely new version of spaghetti and meatballs on them and see what they thought. I made a thai style meatball using bright thai flavors, and then made a spaghetti noodle pancit to serve with it. The result was a tasty pasta dish that my kids ate and loved. I can’t even tell you how much I love it when we have a dinner where no one complains! Granted, my kids are only 3 and 5 and are easily fooled. I still revel in the success of having them try new flavors and get a little taste of the far reaches of the world.
Time to Make it: 35 minutes
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
1 lb ground beef or pork
2 TB minced lemongrass
1 TB sesame seeds
1 lime, juiced
1 jalapeno, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
5 large basil leaves, chopped
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
5 fresh mint leaves, chopped
2 tsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. ground ginger
2 TB fish sauce
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup + 2 TB olive oil, divided
1 onion, minced
2 tsp. soy sauce
6 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups chicken broth
1 lb spaghetti noodles
2 cups thinly sliced carrots (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9×13 glass pan or jelly roll pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a medium-size mixing bowl, make the meatballs by combining all meatball ingredients util thoroughly mixed. Form into about 20 meatballs and place in the prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
3. While meatballs are baking make the pasta. Bring chicken broth to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add in spaghetti noodles and cook until al dente according to package directions).
4. Meanwhile, eat 2 TB olive oil in a large skillet over medium-heat. Add in onion and carrot and sautee for about 5 minutes until onions soften and begin to become translucent. Stir in soy sauce and garlic and cook an additional 1 minute.
5. Drain pasta and add into skillet with remaining 1/4 cup olive oil. Stir to coat.
6. Serve pasta hot topped with meatballs.
Get New Recipes Sent To Your Inbox ?
Join my newsletter and get new mouth watering recipes sent directly to you weekly!