Yesterday I taught you about the wonders of Cuban bread, and now I’m giving you a little something to put on that bread. And it is even slow cooker! Score, man! You won’t find this recipe in my upcoming Slow Cooker book (which is available for pre-order now), but maybe I’ll include it in the second edition. It is just so dang tasty! Mojo is a Cuban thing and is made from these sour oranges that you can only find in Cuba (and south Florida thanks to some seed smugglers). Since odds are you don’t live in Florida or Cuba, and neither do I, we are going with the next best thing which is a combination of lemon and orange juice to get that sour flavor. Having tasted both within the same week, I’d say it is a fantastic substitution.
Mojo makes a great summer flavor with those bright acids. Just toss it on some cuban bread and you have yourself a super delicious sandwich. You can use french bread, too, I suppose. And really, slow cookers in the summer are the perfect gadget so you can keep your oven off and your house a few degrees cooler. I probably use my slow cooker more in the summer than I do in the winter. True story. It also helps with those busy summer days of outings to the beach, library, park, pool, summer camps, swim lessons, etc. etc. that are absolutely exhausting.
Enjoy a little Mojo sandwich! It’s easy!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
Yield: Makes about 8 sandwiches (depending on roast size)
1 head garlic, peeled and crushed
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 pork butt roast (3 to 5 lbs)
1 onion, halved and siced
1. In a small mixing bowl, create your mojo by stirring together crushed garlic, salt, pepper, orange juice, and lemon juice.
2. Place the pork roast into a 5 to 8 quart slow cooker.
3. Pour the mojo mixture over the roast. Scatter the onions on top of the roast.
4. Cook on low for 8 hours until meat is easily shredded with a fork.
5. Shred the meat before serving. Serve hot on toasted Cuban bread.
- 1 head garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ⅔ cup orange juice
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- 1 pork butt roast (3 to 5 lbs)
- 1 onion, halved and siced
- In a small mixing bowl, create your mojo by stirring together crushed garlic, salt, pepper, orange juice, and lemon juice.
- Place the pork roast into a 5 to 8 quart slow cooker
- Pour the mojo mixture over the roast. Scatter the onions on top of the roast.
- Cook on low for 8 hours until meat is easily shredded with a fork.
- Shred the meat before serving. Serve hot on toasted Cuban bread