Whether you are celebrating Chinese New Year, or simply making an every day meal, this Slow Cooker Hot and Sour Soup is an easy and delicious dinner.Happy Chinese New Year! Well, February 8 is the date for 2016. Wondering what to make? Try this Chinese Hot and Sour Soup. It’s made in the slow cooker! This isn’t exactly an authentic Chinese recipe, but I’ve made it as easy as possible so that anyone and everyone can celebrate. It just doesn’t get any easier than the slow cooker! Toss it in and come back later for a delicious meal!
Chinese New Year is the celebration of the new lunisolar Chinese calendar. It has been celebrated for centuries. There are lots of fun traditions, myths, and superstitions that go along with it which makes it easy for the whole world to get involved. It’s a fun little celebration meant to bring families together, and what better way to do that than with food?
This recipe features Kikkoman Soy Sauce. When you think of soy sauce you probably think of Asian cooking, like Chinese New Year recipes, but soy sauce is great in a variety of cuisines. Good soy sauce is aged like a fine wine and is a great flavor enhancer with so many different uses. I always have a bottle of Kikkoman in my pantry. It comes in handy!
- 8 cups (2 quarts) chicken broth
- ¼ cup Kikkoman soy sauce
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ½ cup canned bamboo shoots, thinly sliced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoons sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 square firm tofu, cubed
- ¼ cup freshly chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- Pour chicken broth into a 5 to 8 quart slow cooker. Stir in soy sauce, rice vinegar, bamboo shoots, mushrooms, ginger, sriracha, white pepper, sugar and tofu.
- Cook on low 6 to 8 hours, or high 3-4 hours.
- Serve garnished with cilantro and green onions.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.