1 lb shredded beef, cooked
2 tablespoons butter
1 onion, diced
1/4 cup flour
2 cups beef broth
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 lbs Fresh Green Beans, trimmed and snapped in half
1 cup frozen Corn Kernels
1/4 tsp oregano
4 Potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup cream cheese
1/4 tsp salt
Shredded Cheddar Cheese to top.
1. Boil the potatoes until soft, 15-20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, steam the green beans until soft, 10-15 minutes. Add in the corn kernals during the last few minutes of cooking.
3. Also meanwhile (this is a multi-tasking dish), saute your onion in 2 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add in the flour and stir until mixed enough that you can’t see the flour (this will allow the sauce to thicken without the flour clumping). Pour in the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce and stir occasionally until the sauce thickens.
4. By this point the potatoes should be done. Mash them up and mix in the butter, cream cheese, and salt until everything is melted and fluffy. Use a hand mixer to easily whip it until it is fluffy.
5. Mix the green beans and corn with the oregano.
6. In 9 x 13 pan put your Pie together. Bottom: meat, Middle: vegetables, Top: Potatoes. Top with cheese.
7. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes., until cheese is warm and bubbly.
Oh the terminology of Shepherd’s Pie vs. Cottage Pie. There are some strong opinions out there. Let’s check out what wikipedia has to say on it.